Rerouting Radiator Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
We are renovating our kitchen / dining area and had removed a partition wall which was hiding some pipes to a second floor radiator.

Goal here is to reroute the pipes backwards and then down through the top plate of the new wall.

My original idea was to turn the elbows a quarter turn so they would now face horizontally which would give more ceiling clearance, then insert male copper adapters and run new copper back and down through the wall.

Needless to say there isnt much to grab on these elbows and 100 years of sediment have frozen them in place.

I should have just enough clearance for the drywall if i instead insert male adapter 90s in the iron elbows.

Anyone see any issues with this method? Not being a plumber, I guess my main concern is all those 90s (4 in this area alone) needed to keep the plumber in the ceiling.

Pics included. I used some 3/4 elbows i had on hand in place of the male adapter elbows i would need to purchase, just to show the idea...

Attachments

• 20210819_114646.jpg
    20210819_114646.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210819_114744.jpg
    20210819_114744.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 133

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theres no issue with your method. But maybe a threaded Street 90 first so you're not heating up your threaded fitting. Then you can pre solder your Male Adapter with a length of pipe first. Then the next fitting is far enough away that you can mitigate the heat with a wet rag to soak the heat before it hits your threaded connection.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We are renovating our kitchen / dining area and had removed a partition wall which was hiding some pipes to a second floor radiator.

Goal here is to reroute the pipes backwards and then down through the top plate of the new wall.

My original idea was to turn the elbows a quarter turn so they would now face horizontally which would give more ceiling clearance, then insert male copper adapters and run new copper back and down through the wall.

Needless to say there isnt much to grab on these elbows and 100 years of sediment have frozen them in place.

I should have just enough clearance for the drywall if i instead insert male adapter 90s in the iron elbows.

Anyone see any issues with this method? Not being a plumber, I guess my main concern is all those 90s (4 in this area alone) needed to keep the plumber in the ceiling.

Pics included. I used some 3/4 elbows i had on hand in place of the male adapter elbows i would need to purchase, just to show the idea...

looks fine to me, as long as you're not reducing the pipe diameter. Be sure to insulate as much as you can after you've tested for leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks