Repositioning some plumbing pipes for Utility Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is the first time I've done anything with plumbing but am pretty handy so thought I would try this. We bought this house which had a utility sink already installed but the drain came out from right behind the dryer and the water supply was just tee'd in at the washer outlet. We are redoing the tiling so figured while I had everything out of the laundry room would attempt to get the drain and the water supply line behind the wall to clean up the look a little.

The utility sink they had previously was just one of those cheap looking ones with 4 legs so I plan on getting a utility sink that has a cabinet surround (Vanity). I'd prefer not to have to drill holes in the side of the cabinet to run the drain and water supply lines and that is why I'm trying to put these behind the wall and come out in the back of the cabinet.

I've got the dry wall removed so just looking for some advice on the best way to do this and to make sure I'm not doing anything against code. Here are some pictures

20181011_101328[1].jpg
20181012_234518[1].jpg

So if you see in the first picture where the PVC pipe comes out of the wall and goes left, that was for the utility sink previously. I'm wanting to have that behind the wall. Would I just cut out that tee that is currently there and put one in but have it rotate so it goes through the vertical stud to the left of it? It looks like the pipe going down is 4". What size should the line be coming out to the sink?

And for the supply lines it looks like I can just tee off the copper pipes that are right there . Any issues with that?

Sorry for the basic questions I just don't want to do all this and then realize I did something I shouldn't have.

Thanks!

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Ok so further measuring I believe it is a 3" pipe that comes out of the ground and a 2 inch pipe above and I am needing a 1.5" pipe coming out the side. Just want to verify this sanitary tee would be ok to use. Would then need a 3" to 2" reducer up top as I can't find any tees that are 3 x 2 x 1.5.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-in-x-...Hub-x-Hub-Sanitary-Tee-C5811HD33112/100347735

few more questions as well. The 1.5" pipe coming out the side behind the wall. Does that need to be sloped? Looks like the sanitary tee it comes off at a 90 degree angle. And what would be a good height to make this 1.5" pipe come out at the wall to accommodate a utility sink?

Also, do I need to install a cleanout? There is a cleanout for the washing machine drain pipe but not sure if these 2 vertical pipes connect somewhere under the slab? Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should have had a cleanout on the 3", either below or above the santee for the laundry sink drain. They do make 3" x 2" santees and 3" x 1.5" santees. They also make a flush bush in 3x2 and 3x1.5 for the top of the fitting. The trap arm grades at a 1/4" per foot slope.
It also looks like the pipes are running horizontal there and there will be no problem installing tees for the water behind the cabinet in the wall.

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I'm thinking previous owners may have used the cleanout to install the utility sink. So I'll go ahead and add a cleanout above the santee (basically where the existing cleanout was) and then put the santee below it and run it left through the stud.

Is there usually enough flex in these pipes to be able to install these pieces?

Last edited:

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Had one more question. I've been reading some other posts about installing a utility sink and thought I read somewhere that said a utility sink drain needs to be 2". I currently bought a 3" santee with a 1.5" horizontal line that I was going to run all the way to the utility sink trap. Does this santee need to be 3 x 2 instead so the drain stub out would be 2" and the would have to reduce to 1.5 for the sink trap? Just want to make sure I get this right before I get it all together and reinstall the drywall. Thanks!

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Ok thanks Terry! So I'll have to return this 3 x 1.5 santee and get the 3 x 2 santee and run 2" ABS from the santee out of the wall.

Chris Milot

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing this. Anyone see any issues? It was my first time soldering so some of the joints are pretty sloppy but so far no leaks. Hopefully won't have any issues down the road. Also replaced the washer outlet with a gfci outlet as it will be within 6 feet of the laundry sink and added a few more outlets down the chain for above the shelves to charge vacuum batteries, etc. Hopefully this is all within code.

Attachments

• 20181027_221139[1].jpg
    20181027_221139[1].jpg
    85 KB · Views: 264
  • 20181027_221130[1].jpg
    20181027_221130[1].jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 241
  • 20181027_221124[1].jpg
    20181027_221124[1].jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 251
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks