Replacing submersible pump and have a few questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Whatnot

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing the pump at my Mom's house soon and just found the well construction report from 1971.

Currently it has a Morrison head on the well that brings the water out the top and back down into the ground to get to the house. I will be replacing that with a pitless adapter.

There is not easy access above the casing so I was planning on using poly pipe to replace the existing steel drop pipe so it can be pulled easily by hand.

The report shows casing only goes down 42'. Static water level at 135' and 135' pumping 15 gpm. Drill depth 200'. Since it was almost 50 years ago, I am guessing that the water level may not be the same. I plan on checking that once the pump is pulled.

Will the poly pipe be ok with the casing ending so far up? What HP pump do I need? It looks like 3/4 hp 10 gpm should be enough using a 40/60 switch but not sure if I am looking at the charts right.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah a 3/4HP, 10 GPM pump will work. The only problem with poly pipe and setting the pump below the casing is getting it stuck coming out. Usually just turn it to the right when the pump gets up to the casing until it lines up and comes out.

Whatnot

Reaction score
I was going to use 200 psi poly pipe. Since the casing is only down part way should I go with 250 psi instead?

I was looking at the CSV125-1. That is safe to put between the pitless adapter and drop pipe? Plastic fittings holding weight always scare me. I see in the directions that it should be 2-3 feet below the pitless adapter. Should that be poly pipe also or something else?

I see a lot of mention about using double jacket wire but all I can find locally is the twisted stuff. Where can I get the double jacket stuff and does it cost a lot more than the twisted type?

Do I want to use 12 gauge or 14 gauge? Normally I would just use 12 but saw some stuff about smaller wire being better. There is 12 feeding the pressure switch now and that is probably only about 25' to the breaker panel. The wire from pressure switch to well will be less than 20'. I am guessing will be around 180' of wire in well.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
200 PSI poly is fine. Just use long metal barb fittings with two hose clamps on each side. Yes the CSV125 needs to be about 3' below the pitless. You can find underground burial cable in THHN/THWN at most electric supply houses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks