Replacing Anode Rod in 2016 Whirlpool Hot Water Heater

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by bill_r_59, Jan 19, 2020.

1. bill_r_59

bill_r_59 New Member

My mother has a 50 gallon Whirlpool hot water heater (E50h46-45) that was installed in Spring 2016 in Delaware. The water comes from a well; and there is also a salt based water softener in use. The sulfer / rotten egg smell has become quite bad.

I have read the solution is to replace the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum zinc rod. I have also read that since a water softener is in use, it must be a powered anode rod. Which of these methods would be recommended? If so, what size? I have read that 3/4 would be best.

Or would it be better to replace the water heater, perhaps with one that does not contain a magnesium anode rod but uses an aluminum zinc anode rod (if they exist)?

I know ZERO about plumbing. My husband would be doing the work. He is extremely handy and has any tool that exists in the world.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I would consider switching to a Ceranode powered anode, if you can get the old anode out.

Another alternative, that is surprisingly popular, is to remove the anode, and put a 3/4 brass plug in the hole.

There are cheaper anodes than the Ceranode, and I feel confident they would be better than a brass plug.

If you cannot loosen the old anode, no sense buying a replacement anode. You may be able to cut down on the smell by setting the WH hotter.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. and plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    Just take out the anode rod and get a 3/4 plug and plug it off.....

90% of the time an aluminium rod will also stink to high heaven too

I know this because I have also made this mistake before..trying to make
    some customers happy and it all went south after a few months I came back
    and removed the new rod too..... the heater is still working fine after probably
    15 years now......

Even though its a crappy Whirlpool heater
    the water heater will still probably last 15 years on well water due to the
    fact the pressure is so low...