Replacing a Rheem Richmond 1960 wall mounted toilet question...

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by NikkiP, Sep 13, 2015.

1. NikkiP

NikkiP New Member

Hi, I have a home that was built in 1960 and two original Rheem Richmond wall mounted toilets. They are both outdated in looks, and cracked and in need of replacement.

I asked a plumber about replacing them with reasonably priced white wall mounted toilets. Our basement is finished, so I prefer not to replace the wall mounted toilets with floor mounted toilets, because I want to avoid opening up the floor and the ceiling below.

He said the bolt pattern is 8" by 7.5" and that there are no wall mounted toilets that match that bolt pattern. I did a little research online and it says the standard bolt pattern is 9" by 7.5". I am wondering if maybe he measured wrong, although I could not get an accurate measurement myself due to the base of the toilet bowl making it impossible for me to measure across accurately.

In addition, I found a few toilets on the Home Depot site (American Standard and ProFlo) and they both do not list bolt configurations but say to use a carrier bracket sold separately.

Our house is not worth a lot, and we don't have a lot of money, so I am looking for the most cost effective option.

Can anyone advise? Leaving the existing toilets isn't a good option because they are cracked and leak a bit.

I live in Massachusetts, if that matters.

Thanks so much,
    Nikki

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    As far as I know ALL wall mount "conventional" toilets have the same bolt pattern. The "width" between the bolts is cast into the carrier, so it CANNOT change, and the up and down dimension was either cast in also, or was "field adjustable" depending on the carrier type, so you should have no problem installing an AMerican Standard, Crane, or any other mainline brand. I installed hundreds, if not thousands, of Rheem Richmond toilets, but never saw a single wall mount version, ever.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. NikkiP

NikkiP New Member

Can I post a photo? I will try....

5. NikkiP

NikkiP New Member

6. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Just drop a tape measure on the floor and measure from the center of the bolts on the left to the center of the bolts on the right, and tell us what the dimension is. If you have a level, just put it against the wall so you can get a staight line down to the floor from the bolt centers. Should be 9" center to center. As HJ says, most likely it's fine.

The Gerber Maxwell gravity-fed Back Outlet Wall Mount toilet works well enough, and its list is cheaper than the alternative American Standard Glenwall, which is probably a little better toilet, with a pressure-assist flush. The realities of the market, however, may make the street price of the American Standard comparable to the Gerber. I would do some research locally and elsewhere as to which has the better price, and go with that.

Here's the spec sheet on the Gerber. http://www.gerberonline.com/downloads/specs/Toilet/20-021.pdf

GREAT PHOTOS!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2019