Replacing 8' of copper with PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new refrigerator. When the home improvement guys came to install it, they noted the water supply to the refrigerator was very weak. Very little water coming in. Our ice makers have not worked for years, so I suspect this is a cause. I went to investigate.

I have access to the water from my finished basement, where I have installed drop ceiling. Unfortunately, the water to the refrigerator is tapped into a copper supply line directly above a 5' stretch that is not drop ceiling, but rather over some vents, drywalled in. I can't easily get to it.

I'm thinking of just cutting out that stretch of copper (which also supplies my kitchen faucet and washing machine) on each end of the ductwork and replacing it with about 8' PEX. I can also attach a new feed to the refrigerator with a shut off valve to make future access easier.

Is there any downside to doing this? I don't know what's going on with the water to the fridge now, but I can get to it anyway, and it seems simple enough to just replace a bit.

But I know sometimes no-brainer projects have unintended consequences.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
So is the connection to the copper for the refrigerator one of those saddle valves? If so that's the reason for your flow issues and I'd do whatever I could to replace that section of pipe and get rid of that valve.

Dprocket

Reaction score
So is the connection to the copper for the refrigerator one of those saddle valves? If so that's the reason for your flow issues and I'd do whatever I could to replace that section of pipe and get rid of that valve.

Actually, it's not a saddle valve. I snapped a picture. It came out pretty good, but it's really hard to get to. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the valve, but also can't really see the copper supply line all The way up, which is another reason I was thinking of starting fresh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96xqcr8k5h0k257/IMG_20191231_183421235.jpg?dl=0

IMG_20191231_183421235.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks good to me.
A 1/4 turn stop on 1/2" copper and 1/4" OD soft copper to the icemaker.
Does the freezer have a water filter? If so maybe that needs changing.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I would cut a section of the dryway below and cover it with an access panel for future access. As Terry stated you have a nice setup and I wouldn't change it. When you get access, first close and open the 1/4 turn valve a few times and let the water run at the refrigerator. if that doesn't help I would disconnect the tubing and open the valve to flush it. Not being used for a few years crud may have developed inside the tubing or valve.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-x-9-in-Access-Panel-with-Frame-APD69/204352596

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks