Replacing 3/8 Faucet and Toilet stops on nipples

Users who are viewing this thread

rmc115

Reaction score
I am working on a bath remodel and replaced two of my shutoff valves and respective chrome plated brass nipples to my sink. I used BrassCraft 1/4 turn valves, but subsequently read that these valves (from HD) have a reputation for failing on occasion.

I was able to get a few Dahl supplies, and will be replacing the valves on those new nipples, as well as an entirely new nipple/valve on my toilet supply.

My concern is removing the valves from the nipples for the vanity supply. What do you find is the best method to remove a valve from a nipple without turning the nipple from the female adapter in the wall? How should I clean up the threads from the teflon sealant I used before installing the new valves?

Sorry for so many questions, but really don't want to flood the entire living area of my slab home. Sometimes get too OCD about this stuff...

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the nipple comes loose, and your fitting in the wall is anchored properly, I'd probably just unscrew the nipple, reapply pipe dope (you may not need to clean any existing off if it isn't chunky), and then reinsert. Note the angle of the nipple as you remove it to make it easier to reinsert and get the threads started without cross-threading it. You probably don't have enough nipple sticking out to put a wrench or pliers on, but that would work, too.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
One of the first things drummed into are heads in trade school was always use two wrenches.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks