Replace Virginia shutoffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On a family post from my East Coast brother on a Sunday I saw this picture.
A nice project in Arlington Virginia. Replacing a sink in a bathroom.
I think from the picture we might be looking at 3/8" pipe nipples from the wall that will need to be unthreaded and new nipples installed. You might want to remove the chrome escutcheons to make it easier.
And easy out or pipe nipple extractor will help to remove the pipe nipples.

replace-shutoffs-arlington-01.jpg

I would pick up new shutoffs with a 3/8" comp. outlet for the lav supplies.
16" x 3/8" comp x 1/2 FIP
No tape on the supply lines, they already have seals on the end.

The p-trap is either a 1-1/2" or a 1-1/4"
I'm guessing the smaller 1-1/4" based on the age of the home. Right now the trap is missing the slip joint nut and slip joint washer on the threaded trap adapter.

To install the new stops, if you're using tape, three wraps on each pipe nipple end. You can also use pipe thread sealant instead.

plumbers-tape-terrylove-01.jpg

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

husky-nipple-extractor-set.jpg

Pipe nipple extractors by Husky

Or my favorite extractor to use is this one below.

easyout-drill-america.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
replace-shutoffs-arlington-02.jpg

Notes from my brother:

A plumber who had worked on our home came by last night. He was able to remove the broken cold and hot water nipples with the ones I bought at Home Depot, and also add new valves. The drain nipple also broke off. He removed that, using a blow torch to heat up the pipes. I have to snake the drain today and do some more cleanup before I install the new vanity and sink.
The good part is that water was back on in our home last evening.
Also did not have to rip out the tiles. Home was built in 1958 and they used galvanized pipes for the water. The drains also have a fair amount of gunk in them.

Note from me:
I use something like Bio-Clean on drains to help keep them clear.
BIO-CLEAN is... a blend of bacteria and enzymes. The bacteria will begin to eat their way into the waste that has accumulated on the sides and top of the drain pipe. This is their natural food. They digest the waste and spread throughout your system, cleaning it completely.

bio-clean.jpg

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks