Replace/fix a leaking hose bib?

Users who are viewing this thread

WayneLee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and found a lot of use tips around :) Could I know if I could fix a leaking bib myself? What are the keywords I need to search for a video to follow and what is the name I could use to find parts? Thanks a lot!

More context: I just got my own property and it seems after I opened a garden hose bib (which should be unused for a few months), it starts to leak after being closed :( I found some plumbers on Thumbstack for a quote and I thought it would not be so expensive. One of the quote I got is $500 to replace it.. and they say those cannot be replaced without breaking the wall, and the $500 does not include dry wall repair. I am not sure this is true and if it is, the design might be too costly...

Best Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 160

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The issue is that to fix it you woukd need to know the make and model of the valve and the length of the assy. In order to get all the right parts. Nobody is going to carry all the parts for every possible valve, so you get quoted to replace the whole thing with a new one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's better to replace in one trip than to make a trip out to pull it apart and see what you need on your second trip out.
And that's assuming someone didn't leave a hose on in the Winter and split the pipe where it passes through the wall.

They make an 8" white plastic panel that pops in and acts as a cover for the next time you need to replace it. Why drywall patch it if you will need that access again?
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/access-panels/ap-0808-8-x-8-access-panel/

I never break into a wall, but I do have a drywall jab saw to cut a nice clean hole for the access panel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks