Replace cast with ABS questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Davisteve

Reaction score
I have a wast line that has a back flow from the original instalation. Sometime in the past a heavy cleaning agent was used and now I am the lucky owner with 2 sweeps that have eaten through :mad: ! It seems to me like I need to start replacing from the street side of the cast that flows correctly and replace all the way back to the beginning of the main wast line.

I'm concerned about the laterals that enter into a new and higher line. How can I best assure they will flow? :confused:

What type of Fernco fitting is best to use in the transition from 3" cast to 3" ABS? A hub with the metal outside cover - about 2-3" long OR the rubber only about 4-5" long?

I have 6 sweeps a wye and they attach to 4 - 1 1/2" steel and 3 - 3" cast joints.

It appears part of the problem for the chang of flow is a double wye that brings wast from 2 toilets to a sweep to the main line. The current bottom of that sweep is lower than the rest of the lower line about 2' street side. If the ABS sweep is not shorter than the cast I will not have room to raise the line. Could I cut the cast the end of the cast double wye without fear of breaking the wye? I really don't want to have to go all the way to the 2 toilets and replace all of that too!

Does this sound like a 1 day job for a 1st time DIY waste line remodel? There is another part I did not mention and that is from the shower to the first sweep it seems wise to replace at this time as well. Other than sweeps and the wye there is less than 3' of straight pipe and none longer than 14".

Interested in a good assessment. :)

Attachments

• Wye to upstairs sweep.jpg
    Wye to upstairs sweep.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 581
  • Toilets to Sweep.jpg
    Toilets to Sweep.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 612
  • shower to waste start.jpg
    shower to waste start.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 591
  • almost all of repair area.jpg
    almost all of repair area.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 612
  • most of area #2.jpg
    most of area #2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 572

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
catalog.gif
To go from ABS to Steel or Cast Iron, you would want a shielded coupling.​
For as much plumbing as you are replacing, getting a plumber may be the way to go. There are types of fittings that need to be used for it to work properly that the homeowner may have a hard time with.​
You may be able to drop the combo fitting of of the double fixture fitting and then reconnect at that point with ABS. Not easy though. Sometimes replacing is easier.​

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks