Users who are viewing this thread

natemule3

Reaction score
In need of some help, ive been trying to fix a repco 5r45-2 water conditioner for the past couple days. The problem is its not cleaning any of the water even with enough salt in the brine tank the water still comes out of the faucet smelling like iron. Even after manually cycling, the water still smells awful. Ive cleaned a lot of the components in the assembly on top and they werent that dirty or plugged. water pressure is still the same, it just doesnt seem like the water is going into the filter tank and actually cleaning. anyone have any pointers or suggestions??

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that unit is a water softener. If you are using a softener to remove iron, you need to do extra cleaning. Try searching this forum for old post that contain "iron out". Also use special iron handling salt, and/or use a ResCare or Res-Up dispenser.

I suggest a lab water test on your water. I like kit 9o from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

Consider a new backwashing iron+H2S filter in front of your softener. It will take a big load off of the softener, and it will save the regular cleaning chore.

Also, in any case, I recommend sanitizing your well, plumbing, and softener. My write-up is at http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

Last edited:

natemule3

Reaction score
The softener was working fine a week ago, it just started to get gradually get worse. i will look into getting everything sanitized. Do you think there is a possibility that the media is clogged?

natemule3

Reaction score
I think that unit is a water softener. If you are using a softener to remove iron, you need to do extra cleaning. Try searching this forum for old post that contain "iron out". Also use special iron handling salt, and/or use a ResCare or Res-Up dispenser.

I suggest a lab water test on your water. I like kit 9o from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

Consider a new backwashing iron+H2S filter in front of your softener. It will take a big load off of the softener, and it will save the regular cleaning chore.

Also, in any case, I recommend sanitizing your well, plumbing, and softener. My write-up is at http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/
The softener was working fine a week ago, it just started to get gradually get worse. i will look into getting everything sanitized. Do you think there is a possibility that the media is clogged?

Reach4

Reaction score

The sanitizing I propose takes a lot of time. A lesser sanitizing can help, but it might need redoing more often.

How old is the system? Start with a cleaning.

If there was something causing the backwash or brining to not be working right, I could see that. There could be a clogged screen or injector. The backwash rate should be about 2.4 GPM. You could measure that by timing how long a bucket takes to fill. You can measure the water in a bucket by measuring the change in weight. The salt for your softener, with 1.5 cubic ft of resin, should be consumed at about 12 to 15 pounds for each regeneration. Certain clogging could cause you to stop using enough salt.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post a picture of the system. If it is a softener, do not sanitize the softener prior to doing a acid washing. Do you have a water report available so we can see what you are trying to treat.
Right now your question is akin to asking an auto mechanic why a car makes a weird noise. We need a lot more information to be of any real help.

Incoming water quality report/test.
Equipment type, I am not familiar with the model you posted so a picture would help.
Water quality after the equipment.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The vortech tank conserves natural resources by not using a gravel bed... in place of a bunch of plastic? LOL, Now I remember why I didn't complete a degree in "Marketing".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks