Repairing a Mansfield 400 frost-free faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Dato Da

Reaction score
Hello,

A Mansfield 400 frost-free faucet on the outside of my house has been leaking behind the handle. I've finally had enough and trying to take it apart to see what parts I need to replace. To my chagrin, the first challenge was to get the screw that locks the handle to the stem to come off. The screw has completely rusted and seized. After using a bunch of different tools, I finally got it to come off, sort of. As you can see in the attached picture, part of that screw has fused with the stem.

mansfield400.jpg

I guess I could buy a new stem and a new screw to get it over with. But in the spirit of budget-aware DIYer, I'd like to know if there's a way to get that fused screw remnant off of the stem so that I could keep the stem and get the faucet back to working order by buying a new screw only. Any idea/suggestion would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks