Repair coupling vs Mission band

Users who are viewing this thread

skidvd

Reaction score
I'm going to be adding a new branch to my under concrete main sewer line (4") for a new bathroom When I splice in the new connections, should I use a repair coupling or a clamped mission band for this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Mission is easier as you can roll the rubber back and then flip it back over once the fitting is in-line.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited:

skidvd

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. While it makes sense that the mission is easier, are there any reliability concerns or other reasons to consider the repair coupling approach as this will be buried under concrete and not accessible?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bigger the pipe, the harder it is to slide a repair coupling to where it needs to be before the cement starts to setup. IOW, good luck should you try to use one!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I totally agree with Terry as I only use mission couplings and NYC we never were allowed to use the crap that is all rubber with two bands

Relying on a piece of rubber for integrity just does not work in the long term

skidvd

Reaction score
ok, got it - thanks! With the mission then, I assume I attempting to have the cut ends of the pipes as straight as possible and butting into each other as close as possible inside the mission band - correct? Any tips for ensuring a good connection in the band?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The piece that gets cut in is 1/4" shorter. There is a ridge in the rubber seal that fits in that gap on both sides to help center it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks