Removing items from a circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
A light, light switch, and outlet in our second bath is on the same 15 amp circuit that includes ceiling lights and several other outlets in two adjacent rooms. What is the best way to remove the bath electrical items from this circuit, but yet ensure that everything else remains properly connected to the circuit?

I am doing a minor remodel on the bath, which will include the creation of a brand new 20 amp circuit that will just serve the bathroom and nothing else (new outlets, switches, lights, etc.). I am just not sure what all is involved when removing items from a circuit without interrupting everything else connected to it. Obviously, when I disconnect the bathroom switch and outlets it will effect everything else that may be connected to these items, and that is what I am not sure how to deal with. Or how an electrician would normally handle this type of project.

Just want to get a sense of what may be involved before I consult an electrician.

Stuff

Reaction score
Are you taking it down to the studs? That is best so wait until then and evaluate what is needed to be done.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The electrician will know what to do, REGARDLESS of what you think beforehand. Everything depends on how the wiring is arranged and there are MANY possibilities for that.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You might be lucky that the bathroom is on the end of the circuit. Until you open walls or at least open all switches, outlets and ceiling light boxes, it is a guess. Most likely power is brought to the wall switches for the bathroom lights and exhaust fan, then branched off for a GFCI outlet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Bottom line, there's no way to know for sure until you open things up.

Another item to consider is what size wire is currently feeding things. If it's 14g, you can't use ANY of it if you want a 20A circuit...it ALL must be run in 12g.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turn power to the circuit off. Disconnect wires from the devices (switch, receptacle, and light fixture) and remove them from the outlet boxes. If any
wires in the box were using the device to make a connection, maintain that connection by wirenutting the wire ends together. Cap off any bare
wire ends with a wirenut or other terminating device. Put blank covers over the empty outlet boxes. Turn the power back on. Done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks