Reliable Sump Option

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Brad Rice, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Brad Rice

Brad Rice New Member

Looking for opinions. So I have about 4 years on my current sump. I live in a very high water table. I currently have a Rigid ½ hp cast iron sump that has been great.

Going to go to ⅓ go as the ½ seems overpowered and does not run long. Debating a Zoeller M53 or Liberty 257. Both seem to be great cast iron pumps. I honestly like the plastic base of the Zoeller for corrosion reasons.

I have read of premature pump failures in appropriate installations only due to switch failures. This seems to be the Achilles heel. I have debated getting a non-automatic version of either pump and then throwing on either a Levelguard electronic switch or SJE Rhombus vertical master switch.

The sump does get a little grimy and dirty, but I do wipe stuff down occasionally and flush out the pit.

Thoughts on which option would be the most reliable? I don't really care about the cheapest.

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Moving to plumbing. Plumber know more about sumps than water well people.

Brad Rice likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Brad Rice likes this.
  4. Brad Rice

Brad Rice New Member

Thanks!

5. DaveHo

DaveHo Member

I have a Zoller N53(no built in switch) & an SJE Rhombus vertical switch going on ten years now. My pit always has enough water to cover the pump, but it only runs during heavy rains. Still going strong, but to be safe I have plans to replace both soon. Will be using the same equipment when I do.

Brad Rice likes this.
  6. Brad Rice

Brad Rice New Member

This is what I am leaning towards. The Zoeller seems to be the most reliable, switch aside, and there is a lot of conflicting/unknown info on the Levelguard.

7. gagecalman

gagecalman Member

I've had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump. No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.

I also use a Basepump water powered backup sump pump. If you are on public water and not on a well they work great.
    I hope this helps.
    Jim

Brad Rice likes this.
  8. taylorjm

taylorjm Member

I think this would be the best option. I have a zoeller M53 and sure enough, after a couple years I had to replace the switch. The funny thing is, the new switch has lasted much longer than the original switch. I would hope they did something to redesign it but I don't know for sure. If that's the case, then maybe the switch issue would be fixed in new production runs. The nice thing about the stand alone switch, is I would keep the 1/2hp pump and increase the run time a little so it's not short cycling.

Brad Rice likes this.
  9. Brad Rice

Brad Rice New Member

Thanks for the suggestions all!