Refurbishing an Old Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't imagine why anyone would want a jet pump, it's like driving a Model T when you could have a Maverick.

Zach77

Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I was tearing down the building the pump was in and I have $12.00 in this project. A sub pump will run me at least $500. I don't need the water. I was bored.

I wanted to see if I could pump the Well dry. If it's still good I'll fork out the money later.

The water level rose all the way to the concrete with the hose running, but the system won't prime and build pressure. I think the valve is shot.

I'm going to try putting 30psi on the tank again tomorrow now that the valve is unstuck.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seen a fair many in my day in this part of SE Texas. Seems that back in the day there was a popular radio show host (think Paul Harvey type) that pitched them as the "World's Finest Water Pump".

You have to fill the tank with water up over the pump. A real PITA. Make sure the jet/ejector is not plugged (this is at the bottom of the pipe before the footvalve). Make sure the jet line is primed. Start the pump and let it run for ~30 seconds. It will gurgle and sputter. Stop the pump, you'll hear a gurgle or two. Wait 5 seconds and start it again, it should work if the pump is any good. Keep starting and stopping as necessary to work the air out.

They are a PITA but once you get them going they're solid if not slow. They were popular with ranchers etc because they were apt not to freeze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks