Reducing main from 1.5" to 1" for water conditioner

Users who are viewing this thread

DrainageQuestion

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a local plumber install a Halo water conditioner. I just noticed that he installed the H5-100 (1" version) instead of the H5-150 (1.5" version).

To do this, he reduced my water main from 1.5" to 1". Here's the pictures. Does this cause any problems? Do I specifically need the H5-150 to be up to code?

Similar discussions are here and here, which seem to say that this is against code, but I can't find a definitive source and my plumber thinks it's okay.

Thanks for any insight.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
To know if it's against code you'd have to size your entire house. So count up all of your fixture units and figure a longest run and elevation them size that based on your incoming pressure. If those add up to only needing a 1"service and you have a 1.5" then you can reduce it. If it adds up that you actually need the 1.5"service then it'd have to be upsized.

As far as I know that would be the only way the code would address such a thing.

DrainageQuestion

Reaction score
To know if it's against code you'd have to size your entire house. So count up all of your fixture units and figure a longest run and elevation them size that based on your incoming pressure. If those add up to only needing a 1"service and you have a 1.5" then you can reduce it. If it adds up that you actually need the 1.5"service then it'd have to be upsized.

As far as I know that would be the only way the code would address such a thing.

Hi John,

Thanks, that gives me much more to look into, and makes much more sense than a blanket statement that you cannot reduce the main before a softener/conditioner at all.

My water pressure does seem okay so all seems fine as long as it's not an obvious code violation.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
To reduce a small section like that isnt the same as say running a long run from the meter all in one inch. an 1 1/2" coming into the house is quite large mine is that size but I think the fire sprinklers are involved just a 3 bath house.
I had a guy that hired me to install a smart whole house shut off I forgwet the details of it i think it uses wifi . It was 1 inch and the service could have been 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 his paper work said it was ok I was a little skepticle but went ahead and installed no issue. I wouldnt balk at 1 1/4 softener but might check into a 1 inch specs.
Just a guess but 1 1/2 " would be for a lot of plumbing or a low pressure area but still at least a 3 bath probebly like 4 or5
Another point is there is a reason someone ran that size Im thinking you got fire sprinklers dont know where they tee off for them ive seen several differant methods

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks