Reduce regeneration water flow...

Users who are viewing this thread

BrownTiger

Reaction score
Need some ideas how to address this issue with water back spillage [~1/4 measuring cup].

Have GE 44k[Not ideal, but it works..] water-softener on city water - plumbed with 1" copper lines. Drain outlet is 3/4" garden house -7' long to 1.5" air drain gap adapter above the softener.

This drain gap adapter connected to 10" vertical elbow to 1.5" ptrap to 2" - 3/16 pitched "horizontal" drain pipe. [Shared with laundry washer, washer works without any issues].

During some either Backwash or Fast rinse phase (not sure) it overflows the 1.5" pipe and spills water outside about 1/4 cup of water (may be less) but each time. Need to reduce the flow somehow... I verified ptrap no issues there. My though is that 1" inlet at 60+ psi is too much for 1.5" ptrap to handle.

1. How can I reduce the flow?
2. Is there a way to advance GE softeners phases so I do not have to wait 3 hours to test.

Thank you very much.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this something new? Can you provide a picture of the drain and trap area?

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you measure the flow the standpipe is dealing with? I would guess that should be about 2 to 2.4 gpm.

If you can play that drain line into a 5-gallon bucket, and if S is the number of seconds to fill the bucket, the gpm=(300/S)

The purpose is to see if the softener is sending too much water, or if the standpipe is not accepting a proper amount of water.

Do you have a media tank and a separate brine tank along side, or is this an all-in-one cabinet unit?
https://www.discountwatersofteners.com/content/manuals/GE-Logix-Manual.pdf is a manual for a GE Logix valve.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
This drain gap adapter connected to 10" vertical elbow to 1.5" ptrap to 2" - 3/16 pitched "horizontal" drain pipe. [Shared with laundry washer, washer works without any issues].
What type of elbow? If it is PVC you want the long sweep as shown on the right picture. Is it PVC or Iron?

1674335873492.png1674335906460.png

BrownTiger

Reaction score
Sorry I did not say it right.
Vertical 10" pipe connected to 1.5" ptrap. At the top of 10" air gap adapter.
I used CHARLOTTE PIPE 1 1/2 DWV P-Trap with Solvent Weld Joint DWV connection. It has single nut on water slip joint.

Thinking of redo 3/4" hose.. Get 5/8" adapter to may barbed 1/2" and run 1/2" clear hose to air gap adapter.
This is a big unit and my supplies are huge 1". Somehow 10" pipe + ptrap to 2" waste get overrun a little.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Dropping the hose ID to 1/2 inch should not matter. I would be inclined to increase the standpipe height to maybe 30 inches.

Any response to #3?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Agree, extending the standpipe to 30" will allow additional reserve capacity before the P-trap. A 10" vertical standpipe is too short.

A 2" laundry standpipe and 'P' trap is now commonly utilized. Since the horizontal run past the 1.5" P-trap is 2", perhaps replacing the 1.5" standpipe and P-trap with 2" versions would be a relatively simple retrofit to increase the laundry drain's flow rate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks