Redesigning above ground sprinkler manifold setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey

Reaction score
I was curious if this would be possible and safe to have this set up. Anyone ever use steel pipe before??

Attachments

• Steel irrigation manifold.jpg
    Steel irrigation manifold.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,102

Hey

Reaction score
Here is my setup. After the big freeze, I haven't had a chance to work on it until now. What would be some suggestions for rebuilding? Should I do it exactly the same, or would there be an easier way? Steel pipe looks good but I'm afraid of it rusting out down the road.

Attachments

• Irrigation setup 1.jpg
    Irrigation setup 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 382
  • Irrigation setup 2.jpg
    Irrigation setup 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 325
  • Irrigation setup 3.jpg
    Irrigation setup 3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 351
  • Irrigation setup 4.jpg
    Irrigation setup 4.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 361

Hey

Reaction score
I just noticed there is a sprinkler forum. If the moderator is reading this, can we move the thread there or should I repost there?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Galvanized will work fine. Yes seen lots of galvanized pipe systems over the years. And yes galvanized will eventually rust out, but usually takes a long time. The problem will be making all those 90's and 45's with galvanized. It would be much easier to cut and glue sch 40 PVC.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
After the anti backflow device, there are no plumbing codes to worry about. Any kind of pipe can be used. Fix yours up with PVC because the next time it freezes maybe another twenty years. PVC is cheap and easy to work. With steel is may take freezing a little better but it can still split but any PVC exposed is just as vulnerable.

You can easily build an insulated wooden box to cover the valve manifold. Get a drop light with an incandescent or halogen light bulb to act as a heater with 60 watt bulb. Lay it on the ground inside the makeshift cover.

Somewhere at bottom of each horizontal poration, install two drain valves for each side if the valves. There should be a main shut off somewhere on the warm side of the home. When a freeze is imminent, shut the main and drain the manifold.

Why I say twenty years? I moved to Florida, West Palm Beach area in Oct 1989. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 1989, the temperatures dropped below freezing. Killed vegetation big time but no where compared to what Texas went through. It has not gone below freezing since then, 31 years later.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Given society's ongoing atmospheric experiment, predicting future temperature extreme frequencies is very difficult. An event that recently happened for the first time in 100 years might start happening every 10 years, 5 years, or more often.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Given society's ongoing atmospheric experiment, predicting future temperature extreme frequencies is very difficult. An event that recently happened for the first time in 100 years might starting happening every 10 years, 5 years, or more often. Cheers, Wayne

I think the 100 year flood zone theory has gone out with the baby and wash water. Look at Europe this week, I'll take a freeze any time compared to a flood.

News media is full of stories on what is going on in the West and it appears to be really bad. What you do not hear is how these fires are starting. Lightning will cause some, stupid people lighting a campfire but I think too many nuts are out setting them off. Maybe three years ago brush fires were kicking up all around our community that is surrounded by conservation areas and other parts of Central Florida. We were in a dry spell and no lightning storms anywhere and a fire or two would break out.

Hey

Reaction score
Galvanized will work fine. Yes seen lots of galvanized pipe systems over the years. And yes galvanized will eventually rust out, but usually takes a long time. The problem will be making all those 90's and 45's with galvanized. It would be much easier to cut and glue sch 40 PVC.

So leaving it as PVC is the best option. Thank you for this.

Hey

Reaction score
After the anti backflow device, there are no plumbing codes to worry about. Any kind of pipe can be used. Fix yours up with PVC because the next time it freezes maybe another twenty years. PVC is cheap and easy to work. With steel is may take freezing a little better but it can still split but any PVC exposed is just as vulnerable.

You can easily build an insulated wooden box to cover the valve manifold. Get a drop light with an incandescent or halogen light bulb to act as a heater with 60 watt bulb. Lay it on the ground inside the makeshift cover.

Somewhere at bottom of each horizontal poration, install two drain valves for each side if the valves. There should be a main shut off somewhere on the warm side of the home. When a freeze is imminent, shut the main and drain the manifold.

Why I say twenty years? I moved to Florida, West Palm Beach area in Oct 1989. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 1989, the temperatures dropped below freezing. Killed vegetation big time but no where compared to what Texas went through. It has not gone below freezing since then, 31 years later.

"install two drain valves for each side if the valves" Do you have any pictures of this so I can see it? I think I have an idea of what you are talking about. I love the idea of an insulated wooden box.

Hey

Reaction score
ok, so attached are some progress pictures. I went ahead a cut all the PVC so I can start fresh. Where the valves are, the closer ones to you would be easy to replace. the ones in the rear, well....how do you make sure those line up? Once lined up, how do you make sure that it'll line up straight to the grey coupling?
irrigation 6.jpg
Irrigation 5.jpg
irrigation 7.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks