Recommended DWV book?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
Is there (Besides the code books) some sort of fairly standard reference book for DWV? How to plumb a washer standpipe, vent sizes, DFUs, etc etc?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Plumbing code books are available at any state code enforcement office, I'd even guess they're less expensive than something at home depot or the book store...though not quite as "user friendly", you'd have THE source...most books don't really cover local codes.
Whats code in my state is often completely different in many cases just one state over.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
An illustrated code book will fill the bill. It will give you clear examples of not only DWV, but pretty much everything associated with plumbing.

Seaneys

Reaction score
My favorite is:
Plumbing a house

by Peter Hemp.

I have both the new and the old additions. Both are solid.

Steve

Prashster

Reaction score
I found the following useful:

Code Check: Plumbing
Black & Decker: Complete Guide to Home Plumbing
Stanley: Complete Plumbing

All were easy to understand, but detailed enough to get you to 2nd base.

Once there, you won't find a better reference than this forum for helping you through specific situations. However, lurk for a while to find out who's advice you can trust. There are a lot of frequent posters here (myself included) whom I wouldn't trust for serious advice.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
srdenny said:
An illustrated code book will fill the bill. It will give you clear examples of not only DWV, but pretty much everything associated with plumbing.

+1 On the illustrated code book. I've found them to be very helpful over the years...

Seaneys

Reaction score
I like these books too.. Especially the Code Check books...

Heck, if you wait for about a year, I'll set you a virtual encyclopedia of slightly soiled diy books.... I just have to get my house put back together first.

Steve