Recommendation for repair of Vikrell shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Ashok Kumar

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have a potentially serious issue related to my newly installed shower, and I'm hoping someone here can recommend a local professional who can help. My Sterling Vikrell shower pan has developed a small hairline crack near the drain.

I just finished remodeling my entire 3 story townhouse because I had a water leak that flooded it last year, and I dread the expense of having to replace the shower pan. I'm hoping that the shower pan is repairable with the right expertise.

I should mention that I'm an existing client of Terry's. Terry installed a Toto toilet as part of my remodel. If Terry or anyone on this forum knows an experience shower pan repair professional near Mill Creek, WA, please let me know.

I'm also going to open a support case with Kohler in case I can get it fixed under warranty, but I'd like to have other options in case that doesn't work out. I've never filed a warranty claim on anything like this because this is my first remodel. I've heard a lot of internet horror stories from homeowners who tried to get things fixed under warranty, so I'm not terribly confident of warranty support in general.

Here is some relevant info:
  • The shower is new. I have not begun using it yet so there's no danger of existing water damage.
  • The shower pan was purchased from Lowes:
  • The pan was carefully inspected prior to installation and no flaws were present.
  • A mortar bed was placed below the Vikrell shower pan per Sterling's instructions.
  • Both my contractor and I checked to make sure the pan was level and did not flex before he proceeded to complete the rest of the shower installation (e.g. shower walls, glass doors, etc.).
  • Due to other extensive remodeling activities in my home at the time, the shower installation was spread across a couple of months. The crack did not appear until the very end of the shower installation (around the time when the glass doors were installed).
  • I don't believe the crack is the fault of my contractor or his subs. The hairline crack does not seem like it was the result of some heavy or sharp tool being dropped. Also, none of the guys working on the shower exceeded the weight limitation ratings for the pan.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Shower Pan Drain.JPG
    Shower Pan Drain.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 514
  • Sterling Guard Plus Item # 786118 Model # 72331800-0 White Vikrell Shower Base.jpg
    Sterling Guard Plus Item # 786118 Model # 72331800-0 White Vikrell Shower Base.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 488

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Could that be a manufacturing seam? What does it look like when you remove the grid strainer? Do you see it on the inside of the drain too? I hate to think about it being more than that. Top floor and all that work you have done. :(

Ashok Kumar

Reaction score
Could that be a manufacturing seam? What does it look like when you remove the grid strainer? Do you see it on the inside of the drain too? I hate to think about it being more than that. Top floor and all that work you have done. :(

It's not a manufacturing seam. That hairline crack was definitely not present when purchased. It didn't show up until well after the pan was installed. In fact, the entire shower was completed (with the exception of installing the glass doors) before it appeared. I've taken another picture of the drain with the drain cover removed.

Attachments

• Drain cover removed.JPG
    Drain cover removed.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 397

Ashok Kumar

Reaction score
Just a quick update here...

I opened a support case with Kohler for my Vikrell shower pan repair, and they're having a local company come out to inspect and repair the pan (if possible). The company name is PatchWorks, and they're located in Lake Stevens, WA. I checked Yelp and Angie's List, and they seem to have positive reviews overall.

Has anyone here heard of them or had any prior experience working with them? You may send me a private message if you'd prefer not to post publicly.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks