Rebuild Gould JRD10 Shallow well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshB-NC

Reaction score
Have an older (20 year old?) JRD10 pump. Has a well company come in and replaced 'leathers' on casing. When they did they turned pump high limit (shutoff) to 70psi. I checked it a couple times after that to be sure pump was shutting off (not first house we have had with this style pump).

Well about a year later wife was complaining electric bill was high. Finally traced it to well pump had been for months. Could no longer hit the 70psi shut off (68psi was max it would get to). I think it had been like this for months. well is out at back of property and cannot hear pump. I set it to 62psi shut off. Kept checking pump for a couple days then every other week, month etc. Went out last week pump was stuck on again. max pressure is now 53 and I set it at 48 shut off.

I know there is a rebuild kit for these pumps. Is it worth doing? I thought unless pump starts leaking there is nothing to really 'wear out'?

It is been a dry winter/spring here. Not sure if static water level has dropped and this is causing pressure problem or if pump needs rebuild. Pump has never ran dry.

If I do rebuild pump - it it as easy as it looks? 4 bolts to take motor off and just replace guide vein, impeller and seals? Or are the pumps more of a throwaway?

No idea on age of pump. Motor is nice and quiet. Guessing 15-20 years old. This is our drinking water - so if I open it up and find out it leaks when I put it back together I will be up the creek. I have rebuilt other types of pumps before - just not this style.

Thank you!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Unless you are pumping sand or other abrasives, it is not normal for a pump to wear down gradually. I would more suspect another problem with the leathers in the jet assembly, or the pumping level has dropped. Yes you can rebuild that pump, but it will not help if the problem is the leathers or the water level.

JoshB-NC

Reaction score
I know some sand went through it when they replaced the leathers because it went through the fleck head on my filox tank. Not sure if it still has sand going through it - not sure how I would know. I assume any sand would drop out in filox and water softener tanks?

I think leathers are ok. When they went bad it caused pump to cycle and not hold pressure. Kept losing prime. Now it just does not want to build the pressure it used to.

Could be static water level. Was not sure if it would have that big of an effect on pressure (20psi drop)?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
20 PSI would be a 46' drop in water level. And I think it depends on which leather is bad. One would make the pump cycle while the other would just let it lose pressure from inlet to outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks