Rear outlet as a new install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam I am

Reaction score
I've read many threads in the forum over the years as we work to renovate our house (thanks to all contributors!). We're adding a modest master bathroom. At first, I thought we'd do a wall-hung toilet (so I read up on those here), but the wall in question is technically an outside wall: we're going to put a toilet where a doorway used to be, which backs up to an enclosed porch (unheated, now used as a shop). We can put in insulation, but it is, again, technically an outside wall, and it does get below freezing some here in TN. The Geberit people said it wouldn't be covered by a warranty if we did that.

We could trench, but it would be difficult to have enough drop for the toilet to drain, so having a regular, floor-draining toilet does not sound like our best option either.

This left me wondering if the best option is to install a rear-outlet toilet? There aren't so many options for purchase, but I guess that would make it easier to choose one. :)

If there is some other conclusion to come to here, I'd be glad to hear it (or if this is a sound choice, that's good to know, too!). The Gerber Maxwell sounds acceptable, if not great, from what I've read here.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The height of the floor to the rear outlet is pretty strict. Should you ever decide to remodel again, and the floor height changed, the toilet probably wouldn't hook back up, nor would any other new one.

A standard floor outlet centered at 12" from the finished wall would give you nearly unlimited choice for a toilet for any reason you might want to replace it.

YOu probably wouldn't get a cold snap deep enough or long enough to be an issue, but a rear-outlet toilet going into an exterior wall could end up making the toilet pretty cold. Not a fun thing to set on! You'd still need a lot of space for the plumbing back there and little room for insulation.

Reach4

Reaction score
: we're going to put a toilet where a doorway used to be, which backs up to an enclosed porch (unheated, now used as a shop). We can put in insulation, but it is, again, technically an outside wall, and it does get below freezing some here in TN. The Geberit people said it wouldn't be covered by a warranty if we did that.
EPS or XPS insulation can do a good job of insulating.
We could trench, but it would be difficult to have enough drop for the toilet to drain, so having a regular, floor-draining toilet does not sound like our best option either.

A floor-exit toilet can use 1/8 inch per foot slope. https://up.codes/viewer/tennessee/ipc-2012/chapter/7/sanitary-drainage#7

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks