range hood

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Anybody knows If I want to wire a range hood (not a microwave hood), where it can be tapped from? OR do i need to run a separate wire? The power that is near the range hood is (1 of 2 small appliance outlets) the fridge outlet, the range outlet. My range outlet is for a gas range so it is really only for ignition.

thanks

Prashster

Reaction score
It's typical to tap the 'range' outlet that connects to the ignition.
You can usually run it straight up through the stud bay up to the hood. If yr range backs to an external wall, y'll have to fish through insulation. IMHO, it's best done w a fishtape.

Check yr local codes on how to secure and terminate the line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Range hoods can have all sorts of bells and whistles. Mine has a couple of 250W heat lamps, a pair of halogen lamps for lighting, and a significant blower motor. The manufacturer specifies it be wired on its own circuit. SO, a general comment would be maybe...a gas stove usually has little power requirements - maybe some indicators, oven light, ignitors, and maybe a clock. But, it could also have a rotisery, convection fan, etc.

KD

Reaction score
According to 210.52, a kitchen small appliance 20 amp circuit can be used to provide power to a gas range, but a hood is not mentioned. However some gas ranges have hoods and/or fans attached to the range. My recommendation is to run a separate 20 amp circuit to power the hood. Then if someone wants to install a MW hood in the future, it is easy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks