Radiator line gave out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt10

Reaction score
one of the lines coming from a large convection radiator corroded out right at the radiator. I will fabricate a new line. It is 1/2 in. copper pipe
One question the old line is a total of about 2.5 ft. and two 90 bends in the pipe. I would have to replace those with 90 elbows. Will this cause any significant flow rate issues? Thanks

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
There is a standard copper fitting called a 90 degree long radius elbow, which should flow more smoothly.

You could also just replace it with oxygen barrier PEX and snake it through the path, but its probably hard to find it in short sections. I think the big box stores carry PEX for water supply, but probably not for heating.

Bruce

Matt10

Reaction score
There is a standard copper fitting called a 90 degree long radius elbow, which should flow more smoothly.

You could also just replace it with oxygen barrier PEX and snake it through the path, but its probably hard to find it in short sections. I think the big box stores carry PEX for water supply, but probably not for heating.

Bruce
Thanks I actually found those 90 long. Ordered them from Grainger I also reused two of the original 90's pipe bends that were in great condition. all went well and my convection radiator is back up and heating.
One question, it was suggested that replacing 1/2 in. copper with 1/2 pex would reduce the flow rate and maybe cause an issue?

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
1/2" PEX does have a slightly smaller inside diameter than 1/2" copper, since the outside is the same diameter and the walls are thicker. However, it typically does not make a noticeable difference in flow. Some folks also believe that the PEX is smoother inside, and the lack of any fittings for most bends will make up for the size difference. YMMV

What you need to watch out for is a plumber who tries to install PEX just like copper, using multiple 90 degree elbows and other fittings so it matches a copper pipe layout. It costs more that way (fittings are relatively expensive), and probably does have an effect on total flow.

Bruce