Question on proper way to raise toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Milesmoony

Reaction score
5B3DBDE5-696F-4232-A4FE-3841EA5B82F9.jpeg

Hi guys, DIYer here, hoping for some advice. I am installing a dometic 310 toilet in a trailer from 1957. The old flange is cast iron and is already set about 3/4” below the current plywood surface. It’s actually a solid piece that acts like a tee, with the flange on top and the drain system running through it. I realize the best solution would be to redo my entire drain system with pvc but that’s not going to happen right now.

One factor I’m concerned about with this install is that currently the cast iron seems to be unsupported. It doesn’t move around easily but the floor isn’t contacting the flange. I’m planning on putting down a marmoleum floor anyhow so I will add a layer of plywood on top of the current floor, but, that doesn’t address the fact that the flange is still unsupported from underneath. Open to suggestions.

Basically I’d like to know what the pros would do in this situation. Seems like there’s a million options for different flange extensions.
One other thing I’m wondering about is the dometic 310 comes with a foam ring already installed on it for a “waxless” install. Can this be trusted?
I’ve been considering using a flange extension that bolts onto the cast iron with a wax ring in between. I would just really appreciate some suggestions from guys with more experience. I should add that this is for myself and for a trailer that I live in. Thanks in advance

5B3DBDE5-696F-4232-A4FE-3841EA5B82F9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Milesmoony

Reaction score
One other note is that the cast iron flange is 7” wide, the opening is 5” at the top, and tapers down to about 3” at the bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks