Question about bleach damage in resin tank

Users who are viewing this thread

r00m217

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question about potential damage caused by bleach in my water softener's resin tank.

We're on a well and were having issues with a sulfur odor (unrelated to our softener) which has now been resolved. However, when first investigating the issue, one of the things the company that installed my softener advised was to do a bleach rinse through our plumbing just in case the odor was coming from bacteria somewhere in the system.

Our well first runs to a whole house filter, then the water softener. I was instructed to shut off our well water, bypass the water softener, then put about 2 cups of bleach into the whole house filter casing without the filter cartridge in it. Then turn the well water back on, turn on a faucet for 20 - 30 minutes and let the bleach work it's way through our plumbing system.

The problem is, like a total dummy, I forgot to bypass the water softener!!! So the bleach / water ran through the resin tank. I know that bleach can damage the resin over time if you keep adding it, but now I'm wondering how much potential damage was caused by accidentally running it through this one time.

Thank you for any help!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is cumulative damage. No worries for a one time shock. You may have taken a few months of life out of the resin out of decades potential life.

r00m217

Reaction score
It is cumulative damage. No worries for a one time shock. You may have taken a few months of life out of the resin out of decades potential life.

Thanks for your response! That helps set my mind at ease. My water softener guy stressed not to get bleach into the resin tank, so of course that's the one thing I completely forgot about -_-

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks