Qest polybutylene replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dylan

Reaction score
We've had leaks and burst pipes and the plumber has suggested replacing the Qest polybutylene pipes. PEX would be less expensive less labor and material cost but we prefer the idea of copper. Plumber can do either. For chlorinated and acidic municipal water would type M copper resist corrosion? Or is PEX better?
Plumber said no residential uses Type K copper or 316 stainless that is only for industrial.

Reach4

Reaction score
Between K and M is L. L is commonly used in some areas, and M would not be allowed for the potable water.
For chlorinated and acidic municipal water would type M copper resist corrosion?
How acidic-- just curious? https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/water_quality_report_2018_final.pdf does not show acidic water.

There are two common corrosivity indexes. pH is one of the factors, but there are others. A water softener will increase corrosivity. Sometimes a polyphosphate is injected to make water of lower pH to be less corrosive. Also pH can be raised. Injecting "soda ash" in a controlled way raises pH without increasing hardness.

I would go with the PEX and use "EP" (engineered plastic) fittings. Avoid the active pH treatments. I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use L copper. It'll last just fine. M is thinner. K is used underground when soft copper isn't practical.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any type of copper is fine for residential applications. Type L is just a bit thicker walled.

We normally install PEX for our repipes because it is less expensive to install and from my experience is less prone to installer error than copper installations... unless using ProPress which is what All of our copper installations are now. Any professional should be able to install either with no problems tho, so the choice is yours to make.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks