Putting in a Bigger Sump Pit

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyn1

Reaction score
I've been wanting to install a new sump pump along with a battery backup, as my pump is rather old and didn't have a backup. The only problem is, all of the equipment I've tried is too big to fit in my pit. It is like 16" inches at the top, and narrows down to about 13" at the bottom. Is it even possible to install a bigger pit in there? It is in concrete at the top, so that would be problem figuring out how to cut a bigger circle to accommodate one.

centurion

Reaction score
Moving to plumbing. More experts there on this subject.
I've been wanting to install a new sump pump along with a battery backup, as my pump is rather old and didn't have a backup. The only problem is, all of the equipment I've tried is too big to fit in my pit. It is like 16" inches at the top, and narrows down to about 13" at the bottom. Is it even possible to install a bigger pit in there? It is in concrete at the top, so that would be problem figuring out how to cut a bigger circle to accommodate one.
I had the same problem. I found this product that has the actual sump pump mounted outside of the sump.
https://www.radonseal.com/pumps/battery-sump-pumps.htm
It has worked very well for me for many years.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

Attachments

• CHRIST.jpg
    CHRIST.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 183

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it even possible to install a bigger pit in there?
Break concrete, and you could do that, or have it done.

I wonder about putting in a new bigger pit beside the old. Connect the two pits with a horizontal pipe. That lets you leave what exists during the construction. Put the battery-backup pump into the new pit, and have room for whatever you have in the future.

If you have city water, you could get a water-powered backup pump. Then there would be no battery to maintain. I expect you have your own well and pump, so you would need the battery system.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You might consider deepening the pit so you can stack one pump above the other. Alternately, you could use pedestal pumps but I'n not sure what emergency backup pumps are available in a pedestal style. Maybe make the primary pump a pedestal and place the submersible backup pump in the pit.
With two pumps in a small pit, it might be best to use electronic level probes instead of floats.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks