Installing a sump pit in a slab that gets pressurized by leaky sewer in a way it won't pop out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gellfex

Reaction score
My rowhouse street sewer is incontinent, and charges the street fill so every crack in my basement slab squirts. Not much I can do till the city replaces the 150 year old brick sewer. So I have pumps. I want to install a sump pit, but when I look at commercial ones I fear the pressure on that tapered shape will just pop it out if it's just stuck in a hole and cemented.

Is there a good way to anchor it in the slab? I have no idea how thick this ancient slab is either. Use stainless masonry screws through the side of the pit into the slab? I've also thought of bending a "bucket" out of steel stucco mesh and making my own cement pit that way, that will be tied into the slab. Ideas or common practices unknown to me would be appreciated.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
SS masonry anchors sounds smart .
I much prefer 'drop in' anchors and then bolt into them...but that's just me. never fond of the hammer in threaded anchor with wobbly sleeves.

Reach4

Reaction score
The sewer department may be more helpful than you think.

The best solution would be "overhead sewers". Yes it costs. The town might have a program that pays part.

There are other choices, but consider overhead sewer.

There is another system where they build a pit in the front yard. The pit gets a pump that pumps into the downstream side of a normally-open backwater valve that is in the bottom of the pit.

Gellfex

Reaction score
The sewer department may be more helpful than you think.

The best solution would be "overhead sewers". Yes it costs. The town might have a program that pays part.

There are other choices, but consider overhead sewer.

There is another system where they build a pit in the front yard. The pit gets a pump that pumps into the downstream side of a normally-open backwater valve that is in the bottom of the pit.
The sewer issue is not inside my property, so raising the lines would solve nothing. Nor is there even a front yard! It's a city rowhouse.

Reach4

Reaction score

Gellfex

Reaction score
That is precisely where an "overhead sewer" shines. See the first picture of https://rocketplumbingnow.com/overhead-sewer-system/ or
https://a1sewercleaning.com/nj-sewage-ejector-pump-repair-before-after/

So all of your first floor waste feeds with gravity via normally new piping that come thru the basement wall, and routes to the city sewer. All of your basement waste goes into a sealed and vented pit with a pump. If there is a basement toilet, you use a grinder pump.
You don't seem to have read my OP. The water is not coming from inside my building. The street main itself is leaking into the street fill and then under my foundation. A utility crew ran a camera through and told me it is full of cracks and offsets but that nothing will be done until it collapses!

Reach4

Reaction score
What leaks into your building? Clean ground water, or leaky sewers?

If leaking sewers, overhead sewers takes the existing sewer pipe away, at least the part that was at all near your house. Your new sewer pipe joins as near the street as practical if you like.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks