PumpTech Green Light, then no lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

war_toad

Reaction score
Hi all, have some interesting things going on with my pump/tank system and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

To begin, I have a 360 foot well (mountain cabin) that pumps into a reservoir, which then pumps into the house. Both the well pump and the reservoir pump are monitored by a PumpTech system (two PumpTech boxes). In the house I have an automatic pressure switch set to 30/50 for my tank in the basement.

The house is 10 years old (purchased last year), the well pump was replaced 3 years ago and the reservoir pump replaced one month ago.

Roughly a month ago we lost all water pressure, and I had a yellow light on my PumpTech (main well) indicating an underload. When we tested the system by doing a reset, we had a blinking green light for about 10 seconds and then switched back to underload.

Long story short, we replaced the reservoir pump and the pressure switch, checked the nipple and the bladder, and filled our reservoir. Our well guy came out and said the well is still producing water and the well pump was operational (he did this by ear). The leading theory was we overtaxed our well (though we don't know how as we are quite conservative), which caused issues with the rest of the system.

Anyway, the problem: our well guy recommended that we shut down the well pump at the breaker for 24 hours and let the well recover. We did so and were happily greeted by a green light blinking for 17 minutes before going to yellow, indicating the theory might have been right.

At his recommendation, we shut the system off when we went away for the weekend. When I came back and turned on the system, this time the PumpTech (main well) started blinking green as before, but then after a few minutes all the lights turned off and the system is dark. The breaker does not trip when this happens.

I am afraid I'm learning all about this as I go, so I don't know if this is what we want to happen or if it's bad (and if so, what is wrong)

Thanks for your time!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it a PumpTech or PumpTec? What model #? When you did a reset, was it a recalibration? Is there a spigot between the well and the reservoir tank? If yes open the spigot and let the pump run. You should be able to see the water flow drop off if the well is running dry. From your comments it appears the PumpTec is working to protect the pump. A sure way is to use a clamp meter to measure the actual current the pump is drawing.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pumptech-issue-or-well-problem.18388/

war_toad

Reaction score
Is it a PumpTech or PumpTec? What model #? When you did a reset, was it a recalibration? Is there a spigot between the well and the reservoir tank? If yes open the spigot and let the pump run. You should be able to see the water flow drop off if the well is running dry. From your comments it appears the PumpTec is working to protect the pump. A sure way is to use a clamp meter to measure the actual current the pump is drawing.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pumptech-issue-or-well-problem.18388/

Hey man thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Apologies, it is a PumpTec system, I can read the model number for the small monitor (reservoir pump), 5800020600. I've attached a picture of the system.

Originally, the smaller PumpTec was not connected (why we are not sure), the draw from the reservoir was only managed via the pressure switch. When we swapped to an automatic pressure switch, we had the smaller box reconnected.

I believe there was a recalibration, but I cannot state definitively.

There is no spigot between the well and the reservoir tank. I've been checking the water level in the reservoir every day and it doesn't seem to change (assuming I am measuring the same thing every time).

NEW INFO: in the past 12 hours, there has been a change. I went down this morning and now the yellow load light on the main well PumpTec is blinking, which according to the manual says "overload condition"

So now it seems that the box is working appropriately but the flashing overload light is a concern.

Attachments

• PXL_20210626_164842491.jpg
    PXL_20210626_164842491.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 190
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks