Pump won't shut off....low pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris_T

Reaction score
To start off thanks in advance for any help....
I am having an issue with my well pump system. The pump is running nonstop and won't build over 20psi. If I manually shut off the pump pressure immediately drops to zero and I hear gurgling in the system. I don't know any details on the system ie...Pump type it was in long before I bought the house. Any ideas or checks I can do would be greatly appreciated. I am not a plumber but am a pretty handy guy so like to do most of my own repair work.

Reach4

Reaction score
If this is a submersible pump (down the well), you should probably not do DIY this time. The problem could be a bad pump or a a hole in a pipe. But presuming you need water for the house, I would get it fixed.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm guessing the pump is in the well and there is a hole in the pipe between the pump and the house. Hopefully the hole is in the downpipe in the well and not underground where it would need to be dug up. Hopefully the well cap is not buried and needs to be dug up. Unless you can provide enough info, my advice would be to call in a pro.

Chris_T

Reaction score
Well cap is above ground when I ope. It I can look in with a flashlight and see water about 20 feet down or so. It is a submersible pump not sure how deep the well really is tho.i have read Diy articles on pulling a well pump but don't want to go to that extent if I can troubleshoot the problem elsewhere.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well cap is above ground when I ope. It I can look in with a flashlight and see water about 20 feet down or so. It is a submersible pump not sure how deep the well really is tho.i have read Diy articles on pulling a well pump but don't want to go to that extent if I can troubleshoot the problem elsewhere.
Calling a well service in your area is the right move. Ask a neighbor or two , who have been around for a while, for a referral.

Chris_T

Reaction score
I replaced the check valve near my pressure tank as it was bad and letting the water run back towards the well pump. Also replaced the pressure switch while I was at it. Contacts didn't look the greatest...so now I turn pump on and it will build about 10 psi and won't go any higher. Pump continues to run. When I manually shut off pump pressure tank hold pressure at 10 psi. I inspected the area where the well line comes out of ground for any sign of leaks. As I had to replace the pitiless connector shortly after moving in due to it leaking and filling the corrugated pipe that the well line to the house is in.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I can look in with a flashlight and see water about 20 feet down or so.
If the leak is in the portion of down pipe that is out of the water, you should see and hear it when the pump is running. If you cannot then either it is under water or underground in which case you need to pull the pump to determine where.

Depending on the style of pitless, if you can get another matching pitless and use half of it to mate to the other half that is attached to the down pipe, then just put a pressure gauge and ball valve on the end of it, turn on the pump and watch the pressure gauge as you close the valve. If it doesn't go much above 20, you need to pull the pump the rest of the way out. The same test without a matching pitless, would require the down pipe be unscrewed from the pitless.

Chris_T

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...the wife's uncle is going to come help pull the pump. Hopefully will do d a leak inline somewhere. If not check pump pressure when I have it out and possible replace the pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I had to replace the pitiless connector
I assume that was just a fitting on the outside of the casing, that you did not have to lift the pump off the pitless so you don't know what all is involved in lifting the pump. Hopefully it is not hanging on a few hundred feet of steel pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks