Pump pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Wilson01

Reaction score
Without making any adjustments and at 45/65 I turned on my sprinkler zone which is thirty-five feet of 3/4” pex to the hose bib and then the sprinkler hose is all 1/2” it took the pump from kick on to shutoff 1:54 seconds and it was off for 1:07 seconds till kick on. I’m no plumber so I’m wondering if this good or if there’s a way to tweak something to make it better. Should I increase the pressure(bladder also) and time it again with the sprinklers on ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Without making any adjustments and at 45/65 I turned on my sprinkler zone which is thirty-five feet of 3/4” pex to the hose bib and then the sprinkler hose is all 1/2” it took the pump from kick on to shutoff 1:54 seconds and it was off for 1:07 seconds till kick on. I’m no plumber so I’m wondering if this good or if there’s a way to tweak something to make it better. Should I increase the pressure(bladder also) and time it again with the sprinklers on ?

That would be 20 cycles per hour, or 480 cycles per day. Adding another tank will only cut those numbers in half. You can't put on enough tanks to completely stop the cycling like a Cycle Stop Valve will do. And the CSV1A is probably less than another tank.

Only other way to keep the pump from cycling is to use twice as many sprinklers every time you water.

Wilson01

Reaction score
I emailed cycle stop valves and they told me my pump can build high pressure. They asked how deep my well is and the static level. I found the old paperwork from the drilling company and it states the well is 500’ but doesn’t say the static level. I’m trying to remember when I changed the pump in 2013 and I wanna say the pump was set at 450’ and static level was at 50’ but I could be wrong. They say I need a larger pressure tank and a CSV will not work for me because it creates 203 psi which is to much for poly pipe. Is there a way to easily check the static level ? I remember when I was a kid someone check there well with a string and a small weight tied to the end. It’d be my luck the string would break and the pump would suck it up and ruin it.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah don't put anything in the well that could drop and cause the pump to stick. An ice cube works well by timing the splash. Fishing string with a small plastic bobber also works. The static level only matter for how much pressure the CSV will see. When using a CSV a 7GPM, 1HP can build 229 PSI on the pipe before the CSV, regardless of the static level. A 10 GPM, 1HP would have only built 164 PSI, which is not too much for the pipe or the CSV. If the water level ever drops to 400+ feet the 7 GPM pump is needed. But if the static is 50', you would have had plenty of water with a smaller pump set at 300' or so. Then there would be no high pressure for the pipe or CSV to deal with.

There are a few pumps that are over-sized so much they build more pressure than the pipe or the CSV can handle. Knowing the GPM series and horsepower of the pump the pressure is easy to figure. When there is more pressure than the pipe or CSV can handle, and downsizing the pump is not an option, a larger pressure tank is probably best. You could get a VFD controller to deliver constant pressure as long as the up front and long term costs aren't more than replacing the pipe and/or pump.

Wilson01

Reaction score
thanks for the help, I’m going to contact the drilling company and see if they still have my file on hand with the info I need. They have changed hands 3-4 times since my well was drilled. If they don’t have it then maybe I’ll try bobber and fishing line. It’s gonna be tight with it being 6” with hose and wires in the way. I’ll update later

Reach4

Reaction score
There are sonic sounders. Well Watch 660 is one. The professional models that the well service providers are usually more expensive.

Consider pointing a laser pointer or bright flashlight down the hole at night. Maybe you can get a clue from what you see.

The ice cube thing is safe. Estimating the time can be hard, but one way is to record the sound and use a program that displays a sound vs time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The static level won't matter if you have the 10 GPM, 1HP. It can only build 164 PSI even if the static is at the surface, so a CSV and poly pipe will be fine.

Wilson01

Reaction score
Again thank you for your help. I talked to the well drilling company and they had all my info still on file. I was off on my specs. It is a 7G 1hp pump and it’s set at 495’. It’s 1” poly pipe and 160psi and my static water level is 120’.

Reach4

Reaction score
495 ft of water is 215 psi right there. Then add the water pressure at your pressure tank. If you ever get that pump pulled again, you probably won't want to put 495 ft of 160 psi poly back.

It is the surface of the water rather than the depth of the pump that matters. You might want to consider a Well Watch 660, or have your pump person use his professional model.

http://www.kylesconverter.com/pressure/feet-of-water-to-pounds-per-square-inch

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Again thank you for your help. I talked to the well drilling company and they had all my info still on file. I was off on my specs. It is a 7G 1hp pump and it’s set at 495’. It’s 1” poly pipe and 160psi and my static water level is 120’.

With a static of 120' a 7GPM, 1HP will only put 180 PSI back pressure on a CSV, and it would work very well. Like Reach says just the depth means you have over 200 PSI on that 160# pipe. However, burst pressure of pipe is 2-5 times the rated pressure, as your system proves. It is usually the barb fittings that give first on poly pipe anyway. Use metal, extra long barb fittings with two hose clamps with any poly pipe.

Wilson01

Reaction score
I have another question and it might be stupid but you said without the CSV my pipe at 495’ has 215 psi on it. Is that only on the pipe from the pitless to the pump ? What would the pressure be on the 75’ of pipe going from the pitless to the house ? The same? I’m asking because I’m wondering if I could just replace the pipe from the pitless to the pump with 1”-250psi pipe?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes replacing the pipe with 250# would work. But yes the underground pipe will have the same pressure, unless you can put the CSV at the well head after the pitless but before the underground pipe.

Wilson01

Reaction score
Ok, putting the CSV there isn’t an option because it’s 7’ down. I guess my only choice is to get a bigger pressure tank or just keep using it the way it is till the pump goes again and replace it with a new one that will work with my set up. Thanks again for all your help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks