Pump pressure only half way

Users who are viewing this thread

Massguy

Reaction score
Got a deep well pump that I replaced 2 years ago,only pumping half pressure.Have control box that shuts off power if it notices a problem.Do have correct voltage coming out to go to pump..but only pumps about half pressure then stops and then control box shuts down power....is it possible one of the 220 lines broke and only getting half power after startup...and would pump actually run....thanks for any info.

Massguy

Reaction score
Not adjustable,believe it monitors voltage and if variation it shuts down...hopefully got that right

Massguy

Reaction score
What is the brand/model of the control box? What do you have to do to get the pump started again?
power comes into a control box "PUMPTEC NO LOAD SENSOR" model 580002010 and then feeds into Pentek control box that came new with pump,first box has a timed restart,but I can reset by power breaker.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Not adjustable,believe it monitors voltage and if variation it shuts down...hopefully got that right
I believe it monitors current, not voltage and is supposed to sense when the pump sucks air. Try putting a clap-on ammeter on the load and see what the current is when it trips. If not adjustable and the current is still within scope, it may need to be replaced.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe it monitors current, not voltage and is supposed to sense when the pump sucks air. Try putting a clap-on ammeter on the load and see what the current is when it trips. If not adjustable and the current is still within scope, it may need to be replaced.

True, they do not monitor voltage, only amp draw.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can do a manual reset by shutting off the power and then turning it back on. The reason you have a Pumptec is most likely because you have a low yield well. If your system is not coming up to full pressure before the Pumptec shuts it down, the water level must be way down in the well.

Massguy

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies,last night I noticed the start capacitor had dripped a few drops of oil and corroded one of the feed contacts{turned dark and green}.Replaced whole strip and cleaned spade on control,didnt help last night but retried this morn and well has been working ever since,keeping fingers crossed.

Massguy

Reaction score
Fluid leaking out of the start capacitor means you are cycling the pump on and off way too much.
Looks like it was quite awhile ago and very little,maybe a couple drops..but ended up perfectly on contact and corrosion was green and looked old.