Pump Motor Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

TVL

Reaction score
My purpose for this post is to decide if it is reasonable or wise to order a motor for my 6 year old pump head:

* The pump end was an F&W 10 GPM (model: 4F10S10301)
* At the time the Franklin motor failed, the pump end was functioning perfectly
* After removing the pump motor, the pump end APPEARS to be in excellent condition
* The impeller shaft does turn freely - no binding or other issues detected

1- Would it make sense to purchase a NEW MOTOR for this pump end, which would then give me a working spare?
2- Or, is it more practical to simply purchase an entire pump when needed?
3- If a motor replacement is recommended, what is the best brand? Franklin or any 1 HP motor?

It seems a shame to simply toss a great looking and functioning pump end, but it may not be wise to pair up a new motor with a 6 year old pump end! I'm simply trying to get some guidance.

Thanks!!!!!!!
If one has a desire, the following link documents what occurred with this 6 year old pump assembly:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....he-bullet-deal-or-no-deal-current-draw.83416/https://terrylove.com/forums/index....he-bullet-deal-or-no-deal-current-draw.83416/

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A 6 year old wet end should be as good as new unless you have a lot of sediment or the pump was over-sized and there was uplift.

TVL

Reaction score
That's great!

Should I get a Franklin motor OR most any brand will do?? On the other hand, is there any particular brands I should steer clear of?

TVL

Reaction score
I've come across a fairly good price on a NEW, but not in the original box Goulds/Centripro 1HP 4 wire submersible motor. The individual states the motor is about 2 years old. The motor brand is CENTRIPRO

Is Centripro the motor used by Goulds??? Or does Goulds make their own brand???

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach!

However, this is a 4" well, so I can't put a sleeve on the pump.
PVC, steel, or uncased?

If fully cased with pvc, your pump choices should be good. Otherwise, consider a 3-inch SQ pump.

TVL

Reaction score
PVC, steel, or uncased?

If fully cased with pvc, your pump choices should be good. Otherwise, consider a 3-inch SQ pump.

This is a 4" PVC cased well ……………. fully cased top to bottom.

However, can someone answer my earlier question:

I've come across a fairly good price on a NEW, but not in the original box Goulds/Centripro 1HP 4 wire submersible motor. The individual states the motor is about 2 years old. The motor brand is CENTRIPRO

Is Centripro the motor used by Goulds??? Or does Goulds make their own brand???

TVL

Reaction score
Yes Centripro is made by Goulds, sorta. 2 year old motor is iffy. And what GPM is the pump?

1- Wet end is a Flint & Walling 10 GPM (used 6 years when old motor failed - wet end in great condition)

2- Old pump has already been replaced with a new F&W 10 GPM pump & motor

3- I was thinking of getting a replacement motor for my old wet end so that I would have a complete spare for future use.

4- You stated: 2 year old motor is iffy - please explain

TVL

Reaction score
1- Wet end is a Flint & Walling 10 GPM (used 6 years when old motor failed - wet end in great condition)

2- Old pump has already been replaced with a new F&W 10 GPM pump & motor

3- I was thinking of getting a replacement motor for my old wet end so that I would have a complete spare for future use.

4- You stated: 2 year old motor is iffy - please explain

5- Or, is it not recommended to purchase a motor (even one that was just manufactured) and let it sit until needed ………. especially when the sit time might be several years?????

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
5- Or, is it not recommended to purchase a motor (even one that was just manufactured) and let it sit until needed ………. especially when the sit time might be several years?????

Yes. The water in the motor can leak or evaporate out. If the motor is even a tiny bit low on water when installed the top bearing and seal will fail quickly. It is not easy to replace or top off the water in a submersible motor but it can be done. I just used a motor I had stored for several years and it was quite a bit low on water. If I hadn't checked it an topped it off it would not have lasted long.

TVL

Reaction score
It is not easy to replace or top off the water in a submersible motor but it can be done. I just used a motor I had stored for several years and it was quite a bit low on water.

Thanks so very much Valveman!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, is there a video OR online procedure/web link for checking and refilling a pump motor you can recommend or share. I would very much like to see or read about the process.

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks