Pump Cycling Rapidly

Users who are viewing this thread

BenGua

Reaction score
After being set up and running for 4 years without any issues, a problem came up recently.

I had air coming out of my faucets suddenly last weekend. I root caused it to a rapid cycling pump due to a blown air cell in a pentair pressure tank. I removed the tank and indeed the air cell had a large hole in it. I replaced the tank with a new AO Smith pressure tank until a replacement air cell can arrive. However the rapid cycling continues even with a new tank...sometimes. See below.

My well pump that runs off a 40/60 pressure switch. After the switch is a sediment filter (main) and dosatron injector unit connected in series. There is a bypass loop around these two using tees and ball values. This loop has just a sediment filter.

If I open the main path (main filter + injector + new tank) the pump cycles rapidly. If I go thru the bypass (sediment filter & new tank) it acts fine.

I've tried bypassing the filter- no change
Removing the injector + filter- no change
Swapping out all the fittings and ball valves- no change
Buying an entire new filter (filter + housing)- no change

It only cycles the pump normally in the bypass loop. Help.

Reach4

Reaction score
You want no filter between the pressure switch and the pressure tank.

Maybe post a photo that includes the pipe from the well, the pressure switch, the pressure tank, and the start of the pipe to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks