Psi at 100 but no water

Users who are viewing this thread

Ashnow03

Reaction score
Hi, we have been having issues with our water going on 2 weeks. We have a well and I Was washing dishes one day, turned the water off and came back 5 mins turned the water back on but nothing came out. We ended up replaced the pressure gauge. Water worked for a day and then no water the next day. I thought the tank just wasn’t getting pressure to fill back up but The psi reads 100 on the tank but no water coming out of faucets. Please any advice would be great!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is no way the gauge could be at 100 PSI and no water coming out of a faucet. The gauge should never show over 60 with a 40/60 pressure switch. Even if a valve is closed, a filter is clogged, or a pipe plugged, the pressure should never get over 60. Your gauge is probably bad and the pump is probably not running.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I thought the tank just wasn’t getting pressure to fill back up but The psi reads 100 on the tank but no water coming out of faucets.
Assuming your pressure tank is a captive tank type (equipped with a diaphragm or bladder), are you referring to 100 psi shown on the pressure gauge you just replaced, normally located nearby to the pressure switch which is to indicate water pressure, or are you referring to the tank's air pre-charge pressure which is normally measured directly on the tank using an alternate gauge such as a tire pressure gauge?

We ended up replaced the pressure gauge. Water worked for a day and then no water the next day.
Assuming this pressure gauge is mounted directly beside the pressure switch, the nipple supplying pressure to both devices maybe plugged with sediment/rust, so the pressure switch is not sensing low pressure in the system and is therefore not activating the pump.

Replacing the pressure gauge may have temporarily dislodged some of the blockage, thereby allowing the PS to temporarily control the pump as intended.

Suggest 1st removing the PS & P Gauge to inspect the supply nipple and connections for blockage.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks