“Properly grounded” - GFCI “no equipment ground”?

Users who are viewing this thread

CTho

Reaction score
Hi, I’d like to switch to a tankless water heater to recover a closet in my (small, limited-storage, old) house, and I’ll need to have an electrical outlet added. Unfortunately the existing house wiring has no grounds, so GFCI receptacles provide 3-prong outlets where necessary. Would that count as “properly grounded” for installing a tankless water heater, or do we need to have a whole new circuit added with a real ground?

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
Have you already picked out a tankless hot water heater, and it is gas or electric?

Is the receptacle you need just to provide electricity for the controls for the tankless HWH?

Bruce

Stuff

Reaction score
There is NO "tankless water heater" that "plugs in" that will give you anywhere the quantity of hot water you would need for even a single faucet.
hj - Assume it is a natural gas tankless that needs 120v. I doubt a true ground is needed but you never know.

CTho

Reaction score
Sorry, to clarify, it would be a gas tankless (probably a Rinnai RU160iN or RU180iN), so the electricity is just for relatively low-power things (electronics, flame starter, blower...).

I looked through a few Rinnai, Noritz, and Vesta installation manuals and they say things like “A standard 3-prong 120VAC 60Hz properly grounded wall outlet” or “electrically grounded in accordance with local codes”.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks