Proper way to finish off this cleanout behind vanity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Md9918

Reaction score
I ran drains for a double vanity using a double san tee (aka, cross) and after reading many complaints here about snaking double sinks with crosses, I installed a cleanout above the cross. I figured I would just cover it with the smallest access panel I could find, but my vanity, it turns out, has a nice wood back. Is there was a sleeker way to do this that doesn't require me cutting out a large piece of the back of my new vanity?

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have used regular tee instead of a cleanout tee, and extended a section of pipe a couple inches past the wall and put a cleanout on the end of that. Then I could have just used a regular 1.5" escutcheon, but too late for that now...

IMG_20220407_191151__01.jpg

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ran drains for a double vanity using a double san tee (aka, cross) and after reading many complaints here about snaking double sinks with crosses, I installed a cleanout above the cross. I figured I would just cover it with the smallest access panel I could find, but my vanity, it turns out, has a nice wood back. Is there was a sleeker way to do this that doesn't require me cutting out a large piece of the back of my new vanity?

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have used regular tee instead of a cleanout tee, and extended a section of pipe a couple inches past the wall and put a cleanout on the end of that. Then I could have just used a regular 1.5" escutcheon, but too late for that now...

View attachment 82599

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score

View attachment 82599

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I made the same mistake (and came to the same hindsight conclusion), and the so-so solution I came up with was this: First I cut a 3" or so round hole in the back of the vanity, lined up with the cleanout in the wall. And then I covered that hole with a 4" round metal electrical box cover (the outdoor painted style), held in with two screws to the wood back.

To make it look nicer you could use a round wood cover of a matching material, although would be much thicker.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
So how do those cover plates with the center hole and screw work? Do you get a special cleanout plug with a tapping to receive the screw? Or tap it yourself?

Cheers, Wayne
They do make cleanout plugs that have a metal tap embedded in them. But mostly people just drill a hole smaller than the screw. Or drill and tap the cleanout plug. Strongly recommend screwing and unscrewing by hand with a screwdriver instead of a drill.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks