Problem with Kohler toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by BK206, Feb 20, 2021.

1. BK206

BK206 New Member

IMG_4690.jpg

We are having a ton of trouble with a Kohler toilet. Three plumbers in, and it still isn’t working correctly. This is a one-piece Memoirs. There are two problems, which may or may not be connected. The trip lever gets stuck in the down position after flushing. You have to pull it back up, then flushing completes. About two minutes after flushing, each time without fail, a loud DRIP DRIP DRIP starts and usually lasts for 2-3 minutes. We don’t want to spend money on a fourth plumber, especially considering this issue persists after three. My boyfriend is ultra stressed about it. Any advice would be much appreciated! I am happy to email you a video I took showing the problem. Not sure how to upload it here.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. breplum

breplum Member

Plumbing and heating contractor
    New handle likely is needed. I don't know that particular toilet. Pics help.

k-3812-parts-1.jpg

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. BK206

BK206 New Member

5. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

Replacing the handle should fix the sticking down problem. For the Dripping noise try removing the refill tube from the Aquapiston. If the noise stops you will need to reinstall the refill tube in a different direction.

Reach4 likes this.
  6. Sarg

Sarg Enjoy Learning

Recently retired
    Just a thing to know = The nut inside the tank for the handle turns clockwise to loosen ...... it's a left hand thread.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Another test would be to slowly and gently put a cup of water into the bowl or down the overflow tube via a funnel. Same dripping sound? I predict yes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...let-in-White-Seat-Included-K-6428-0/207121967 shows that this toilet has something like a Toto Unifit. That is plastic, and does not deaden sound as much as the classic toilets with a porcelain trapway. I got sounds from my new Vespin (uses Toto Unifit) that I had not heard before with my old 5 gpf toilet. In my case, the sound I noticed first was the sound of the tub drain going past the toilet. But the weir drip is more hearable too. Toilets with this kind of adapter are often used when the rough-in is not a match to a standard 12-inch rough-in.

What you could do is to take steps to tune the refill to not add enough water to drip over the weir, yet still fill the bowl to the level that will stay there after the dripping stops today. A Fluidmaster pinch clamp might let you do that.

Other possibilities are to get sound deadening material put in around the plastic.

A third possibility is to accept it as normal, and soon your brain will tune it out. Seriously.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  8. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

I may need to add some sound deadening to these on all installs.. just some self adhesive roofing or vycor would deaden the sound a Lot!