• yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY DAD 2591

Reaction score
Hi all, don't know if you guys will be able to help but i thought i would ask anyways. I have a tiling professional willing to take a traded item to do my shower job that I've been putting off doing myself. thought i would post it here and see if you guys can see if he's charging me an ok amount for it.

shower is 5 ft wide and 8 ft tall. only tiling walls and window, not doing floor pan or ceiling. tile guy says he will install plastic vapor barrier and hardie backer then tile the walls with 10x14 ceramic tiles. no niches or shelves. he wants 1200 to do this just labor, I'm covering materials. does this sound right? my dad said more like 700 or 800 but that's why I'm asking you guys. thanks again.

Attachments

• 20171219_212658.jpg
    20171219_212658.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 274

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing to do is to quickly get 1 or 2 more estimates, listing the same installation process.

This is not a one day job, and I doubt that dad can find a professional tile setter for less. How about letting dad do the job, then ask him if $700 was a fair estimate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The job is worth whatever the going rate is in your area. I NEVER trade for a job. I charge whatever it costs and then purchase the item if I really want it. That way we both know what we are paying.

Atomic1

Reaction score
$1200 for tile labor isn't unreasonable. I got a quote to do a basic renovation in a bathroom like that and I got consistent quotes around $8k. Ended up doing it myself and would say it was worth at least a grand for labor....especially looking at your rough framing, that isn't even close to being ready for backer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks