Insulation in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I have a small shower, approx 3'x5', that I plan on redoing. Basically tearing out the walls and installing new backerboard, and then Redguarding everything and installing new ceramic tile. Two sides of the shower are on exterior walls, and the exterior wall is brick veneer.

My question is this. Since we live in Houston, obviously a humid climate, what should I place behind the backerboard between the studs as a vapor barrier, if anything at all? Some articles I've read state heavy plastic sheeting be installed to the stud faces before installing the backer board, but no other insulation. Other articles say to just use battes of standard home insulation, and no plastic sheeting. So now I am confused.

The bathroom itself is well ventilated, has a vent fan in the ceiling, as well as a ceiling vent for the heating and a/c, plus a small window. What would be considered best practice for properly filling the wall space behind the backerboard in this type of situation. Just trying to plan ahead to make sure I do it right the first time. Tks.

Reach4

Reaction score
In Houston, your vapor barrier should be outside of your insulation. In cold places, the vapor barrier is on the inside side.

Foam insulation board with the cracks filled with spray foam would be best.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I do not mean to sound trite, but can you clarify your definition of inside/outside? By outside, do you mean between the backside of the brick veneer and the side of the studs that face outside? And if this is correct, are you recommending the foam board be placed between the stud openings and up against the back side of the veneered walls?

Reach4

Reaction score
By outside, I mean where it rains. As in "go outside and play." Probably I should have said outdoor side.

The foam insulation you should use is not sensitive to moisture itself. If you used fiberglass or rock wool, you would want the vapor barrier next to the outside to keep humidity from outside getting your insulation and wood moist. The inside air will be dryer, and moisture in insulation or wood would have a slow path to the inside and out of your air conditioner drain.

I am not a pro.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Tks. Installing the foamboard against the interior side of the outside wall, and between the studs, makes sense. And would be much easier and less messy, in my opinion, than using any other method. It would serve to keep the space between the studs as dry as possible. I suppose I could also tape the seams around the foamboard, rather than spray foam, just to make things less messy. Unless it would be less efficient in keeping out moisture.

Appreciate the feedback and prompt response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks