Pressure switch nipple length??

Users who are viewing this thread

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Hi guys,
Has been a while since I have been on the board. I have a question regarding the length of the 1/4" nipple going to the pump pressure switch. My system is down in an old pit and some times it floods a little. The original nipple for the pressure switch was about 30" long years ago and when I rebuilt everything also years ago I installed a 6" long 1/4" nipple to the switch. My question is can I connect a 30" long nipple going up to the pressure switch so in case of water rising in the pit it wont hit the switch? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

Reach4

Reaction score
Ideally you would have the casing extended above ground and have a pitless adapter installed. The reason is that well seals often leak, so the flooding does more than get the pressure switch wet. I had my casing extended and a pitless installed because of pit flooding and a leaky well seal.

You could have the pressure tank and pressure switch moved to the basement or into the house.

But in direct answer to your question, yes. I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I prefer to tee off about a 30" riser of 3/4" pipe on the vertical, and then use reducers to attach the 1/4" stub to the top of that. Plumbing it this way helps to prevent debris from making it up to the pressure switch, and serves to keep the switch up high off the ground where it stays clean and dry. This works in basements too.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Easy to do. Get some 1/4 soft copper tubing, a couple of 1/4 male pipe X 1/4 compression couplings and put the pressure switch above the water level.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I need to do this, I use the same thing I use for airlines; 1/4" air brake tubing. I use the push on, quick release fittings.

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Thanks a lot guys for the info and tips. This pit is outside about 1o feet from the house. (use to be for a mobile home) I have no basement and the crawlspace is unheated and the pit is below the frost line to keep from freezing so I don't think anything is going to be moved. It only floods if we have a pretty bad storm, went 15 years without any problem and then in the last two years it flooded up some twice. My well head is even buried outside of the pit under three feet of dirt. (I know not allowed now) Only time it was dug up was when I changed the submersible pump about 10 years ago. This is my summer place. Everything was originally installed in 1973 so the codes were different then.

Thanks again for the info,
Ron

Reach4

Reaction score
My well head is even buried outside of the pit under three feet of dirt.
The good thing is that if you did get the casing extended, you could keep the pit for the pressure tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks