Pressure rating on insert fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Bushing or barb fitting reducer is fine. I would use a rigid nipple through the well seal. Means you probably need a coupling on the barb fitting, 6' nipple through the well seal, and a tee to set on the well seal and feed the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have almost everything I need for the install, I am just a little confused about the wiring. I have a 20 amp wire(yellow wire) heading towards the area, it just ends close to the location of the conduit that goes to the well pump. According to the electrical requirements for the pump it says use a 20 amp breaker. I assume since the pump is 230 volts I use a double pole 20 amp breaker. So to keep within code can the current wire safely be used for a 20 amp double pole breaker? I know I can use a neutral as a load wire I would just use electrical tape to mark it as a load. I'm probably just overthinking it again. I believe I ran across a post on here that said it would be fine.
Sounds fine to me.
Other question is would it be better to use a bushing to reduce the fitting size for the barbed fitting or could I just use a reducing barbed fitting to go from 1-1/4" to 1"? I assume it would be just as strong either way and the less fittings I have down the well the better as far as I am concerned. I'm a bit lost as to how to end the poly pipe just before it pops up through the cap. I am assuming again that I use a barbed fitting then use a coupling so I can attach a nipple to it and pop it through the hold in the cap and to a 90.
If you are using a well seal, then yes. The weight would be borne by the fitting on top of the well seal.
Or is there some other way it would go through the cap that would be more secure? Seems most pumps go to a pitless adapter which I dont believe I have down the well. If there is one there I have no idea where it would feed to.
Even if you are in the part of Oregon that does not freeze, a pitless adapter is better IMO. Not everybody agrees. The pitless would usually have a female NPT thread, and the barb would screw into that.

People add pitless adapters fairly easily usually. There are different kinds. What is the ID or OD and material for your casing that sticks out of the ground? That will play a part in selecting the pitless adapter.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes a 3/4 hp sub motor needs to be protected by a 20 amp breaker. Running amps will be 7-8 amps. Locked rotor amps are 34.2 and would trip the breaker.

A 230 volt 3/4 hp sub motor can have up to 300 ft of #14, 480 ft of #12, or 760 ft of #10 wire between the motor and the breaker. These maximum lengths will keep voltage drop to under 5%. This is from the Franklin AIM manual.

It’s a separate section of the NEC to size wires and overload protection devices for motors.

LiO

Reaction score
People add pitless adapters fairly easily usually. There are different kinds. What is the ID or OD and material for your casing that sticks out of the ground? That will play a part in selecting the pitless adapter.

I would prefer to have a pitless adapter in the well but in this instance I dont think that would be feasible, at least not without a lot of work. I believe the well casing sticks up about 5 or 6 inches from the concrete in the little pit its in. It is a 6" well casing, and I know it can be extended if need be. All the pipe feeding the house is under cement and the well is about 5 feet from the side of the house. Most of the pipes I have found or have access to are pvc and are only 4 or 5 inches under the ground. When the previous owner up in water lines he didn't put them nearly deep enough in my opinion. I have never had the well cap off so I dont know what it looks like down the hole. There may be a pitless adapter but I have no idea where the water would feed to.

LiO

Reaction score
Oh, I did have one more question. Hopefully the last one. Where should the pressure switch be located? In my set up the pressure tank is in the house and its hooked to a pipe that goes down into the cement. Its maybe 20 or 30 feet from the well pump. I have read that the switch should be next to the pressure tank. That will require a bit of modification to the pipe going into to the tank but it will be easy. Right now the switch is outside right next to the pump.

LiO

Reaction score
Post a photo of what you can see.

Hope these pictures turn out. I did not put the stick in the well cap, it was there when I bought the place.

Attachments

• 20190501_174629.jpg
    20190501_174629.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190501_174710.jpg
    20190501_174710.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20190501_174734.jpg
    20190501_174734.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 144

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the switch that far from the pressure tank it should be bouncing the pump on/off rapidly. I don't know how you have been getting away with it. But if the switch isn't bouncing, there is really no other problem with its location.

LiO

Reaction score
So far the pump has not kicked on and off rapidly that I have noticed. It kicks on after the toilet is flushed now and it takes a lot longer for the pump to get the system back up to pressure to turn off but otherwise its been ok. I was going to relocate the switch so its connected to the line going into the pressure tank. I've been wanting to put a ball valve in that line anyway. I would prefer to have the pressure relief valve outside thought so I was going to put that in the line probably after the csv. Just before the pipe drops down into the cement to head towards the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
It kicks on after the toilet is flushed now and it takes a lot longer for the pump to get the system back up to pressure to turn off but otherwise its been ok.
How long? Five minutes?

LiO

Reaction score
I'd say at least, sometimes seems like 10 minutes. Its roughly twice as long as it used to take a few years ago. I did check the pressure tank to make sure it was set properly. It was waterlogged some as usual but I corrected that. Bladder tank would be a lot easier to deal with. The one I have now is just a holding tank being used as a pressure tank. 5 minutes seems about normal for that pump. One time I believe it took 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'd say at least, sometimes seems like 10 minutes. Its roughly twice as long as it used to take a few years ago. I did check the pressure tank to make sure it was set properly. It was waterlogged some as usual but I corrected that. Bladder tank would be a lot easier to deal with. The one I have now is just a holding tank being used as a pressure tank. 5 minutes seems about normal for that pump. One time I believe it took 20 minutes.
That probably indicates that the pump is degrading. You should probably adjust the pressure switch down by about 5 psi for cut-in and cut out. You would also adjust the air precharge if you have such a pressure tank, which I think you do not.

LiO

Reaction score
I just need the pump to last a few more months. Ideally I will be replacing it next month but finances may state otherwise. Still I will adjust the settings, dont want it to go out before I can replace it.

LiO

Reaction score
Then you have nothing to worry about. I don't know how many times I have said it but back pressure is good for the pump/motor. Back pressure makes the motor draw lower amps, run cooler, and last longer. As long as your pipe is good for the 147 PSI, which is nothing for most pipe, you are not going to hurt anything and it will actually make everything last longer.

As for the flow inducer, all you need is a ten dollar piece of 4" drain pipe. Like this.

View attachment 52726
What kind of tape or pipe wrap is wrapped around that flow inducer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks