Powering Well

Users who are viewing this thread

KennyG

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a well on my property that only has a pump in it. No power, control boxes, switches or tanks. Just a well and an unknown pump in it that was last tested in 2012.

There are 4 wires coming out of the well is the only clue on what kind of pump it may be.

My question is how do I connect a generator to this well and get it to run? I need to first test if the pump even works and second I need to cleanse the well in prep of getting a water sample done for the county. Where would the water come out of? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With 3+1 wires you will need a pump control box of the correct or larger size than the pump/motor. Then yes, you just connect the control box to a generator and turn it on. You can get fairly close to size of the pump with an ohm test. Otherwise, I would just connect a 1.5HP control box and see what happens. Water will comes out of the drop pipe that is holding the pump in the well.

KennyG

Reaction score
With 3+1 wires you will need a pump control box of the correct or larger size than the pump/motor. Then yes, you just connect the control box to a generator and turn it on. You can get fairly close to size of the pump with an ohm test. Otherwise, I would just connect a 1.5HP control box and see what happens. Water will comes out of the drop pipe that is holding the pump in the well.
Thank you!

KennyG

Reaction score
Hello, so I'm having difficulty figuring out how to connect a generator to the control box. The 240v cable for the generator has 3 conductors and a ground so 4 wires. How do I connect this to the control box that only has L1-L2-Ground?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks