Possible to use Ikea vanity if water and drain access on side?

Users who are viewing this thread

jasz

Reaction score
I have a small bathroom and need to replace the vanity, which currently is a cabinet with doors where most of the space it taken up by the plumbing. I would really like to use the Ikea Godmorgon vanity w/single Odensvik sink, but the water pipes and drain enter the current cabinet from the wall on the right side. Is there any way around this? Perhaps sacrificing the top drawer? thanks so much!

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate hooking up ikea stuff to existing plumbing. Most times I can't use the ptrap section. And the white pipe is oversized so I have to use a bow adapter with tephlon tape and abs 90's and 45s just to make it work. It can be done. Usually u only have 3 inches in the back to work with

jasz

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I was hoping someone knew of a "hack" for dealing with the drawer situation. Is it a ridiculous idea to move the plumbing from the side to the back wall? This is in an old (1916) house, in the small but main bathroom on second floor.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get American made, plywood and solid wood construction, for the same price as IKEA's stuff or less.
I wouldn't get IKEA for the bathroom.

jasz

Reaction score
Unfortunately the drain and water do not enter in the back 3 inches - more like the middle. I'd be happy to get solid wood, but I'm having trouble finding anything in a modern style that isn't really expensive. I found a similar modern style, Duravit, but it is also made of non-wood products. Any recommendations for modern?

jasz

Reaction score
PS Is it ever possible to move the water and drain pipes up within the wall they are currently in? Then I might be able to make a deep drawer style with a low rail work... thanks!

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
PS Is it ever possible to move the water and drain pipes up within the wall they are currently in? Then I might be able to make a deep drawer style with a low rail work... thanks!
I've done the oddest things to make it work. It's nice to know what's going on. Code is code but u have no choice somtimes

jasz

Reaction score
Update: you folks were right - while the contractor was skeptical, the plumber was able to move the pipes to enter the cabinet still from the side, but in the back 4" gap area behind the drawers. Thanks for encouraging me to go for it.

Unfortunately, however (I don't know if this is related or not), the sink does not drain very well if there is too much water flow. The plumber hasn't come yet, but the contractor said something about "sometimes sinks drain fine with little flow, but if you get to a gallon they don't"? I don't get this! Thanks for any insight...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks