Pneumatic Nailers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ho333ard

Reaction score
I have the framework for my fence up, and the final step is putting up the pickets.
I have this fantasy that I really want a power nailer of some sort to stick 'em up before coming back with screws. I really want one anyways, for various projects like banner-frame building and garden container building.
This particular job involves nailing 5/8" p.t. dogear to 2x4 rails.

I know very little about this stuff, other than having borrowed a neighbor's with the little cartrige, and having once put a nail into my kitchen floor while experimenting with the nailer and compressor left behind by my landlord.

What sort of compressor do I need?

What sort of nailer do I need?

Can I get away with the kind that uses the little cartriges?

Is there an electric nailer that would do the job?

What size nail would I want for this particular project?

Cost is definitely an issue-- I'd like to spend a few hundred (or less) . . .

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you want an air unit, you need to match the CFM specs of a nailer to a compressor. If you just want to tack the boards in place to hold them waiting for screws, then just a small brad nailer would work.

The gas cartridge units will not cycle as fast as an air powered unit. I have a finish nailer from Porter Cable, but it is just a luxury. Lets me do some baseboards or casings without dragging out the compressor. But defintely not for production work.

If your fence boards are cedar, make sure to use only stainless steel nails and coated deck screws. DO NOT use any galvanized fasters. The resin in the wood will cause black stains.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
jimbo said:
If you want an air unit, you need to match the CFM specs of a nailer to a compressor. If you just want to tack the boards in place to hold them waiting for screws, then just a small brad nailer would work.

The gas cartridge units will not cycle as fast as an air powered unit. I have a finish nailer from Porter Cable, but it is just a luxury. Lets me do some baseboards or casings without dragging out the compressor. But defintely not for production work.

If your fence boards are cedar, make sure to use only stainless steel nails and coated deck screws. DO NOT use any galvanized fasters. The resin in the wood will cause black stains.

Thanks. believe it's cedar. I think everything I've used has been coated thus far.

Any recs on a "small brad nailer"? Any recs on a nail size? 1" 1 1/4" 1 3/8"?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I don't own one everyone that I know that owns a Paslode nail gun will not trade them for a compressor type gun.

Based on talking to people who have owned both I would buy a Paslode.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Pasload guns basically have a canister of fuel and an igniter. the igniter is run on battery power from what it looks like. Basically, it is sort of like your car engine...fill the chamber with fuel, expold the fuel, push the piston, putting the nail where you point it.

Prashster

Reaction score
I am a big fan of my Porter Cable pneumatic nailers. For about $300 you can get a brad nailer, stapler, and 6gal compressor that'll handle most of your needs (nailing, painting, filling tires). About the only things it can't do is blow out yr sprinkler heads. Small (pancake) compressors like mine are light and easy to move around, but need to cycle quite often (after about 100 shots at 90psi) which means it'll scare the bejesus outa yr kids every several minutes.

You need the nails or screws to penetrate at least 3/4" to 1" into the 2x4's, so go with something that can handle at least 1 1/2" fasteners.

Remember to use fasteners that are compatible with pressure treated and coated for outdoor use.

If you can find a suitable fastener, I'd use a medium or narrow crown stapler. They'll hold way better than nails and it'll save you the effort of going back and screwing. The hold is not quite as good as screws, but you can compensate by stapling more.

If you're thinking about any kind of trimwork, it's a fantastic investment.

As far as brad nailers go, anything smaller than 1 1/4 is a waste, IMHO.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks