Plumbing career advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the place but does anyone have advice getting into the plumbing trade? Specific advice or general doesn’t matter anything is appreciated.

Currently I am a welder, been so going on 10 years or so, but thinking about the switch. Better money, could move anywhere in the country and a plumber is always in demand... welder maybe not quite as much - my thinking at least. Better money for plumbers as well so that’s always a plus raising a family.

I’m in the seattle area. At the moment all I can really tell is I’d need to apply at the union, and they use (or applicants go through them?) Seattle area Pipe Trades for apprenticeships.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I went through the plumbing apprenticeship with Phoenix AZ. LOCAL 469. We would travel to Seattle when work got slow in Phoenix. You are already a welder. If I were you I would go through the Pipefitter/ Welder apprenticeship, there are a lot more plumbers than pipefitters and not all pipefitters can weld.

Reach4

Reaction score
Currently I am a welder, been so going on 10 years or so, but thinking about the switch. Better money, could move anywhere in the country and a plumber is always in demand...
I think normally it is hard to work in a different state than you are licensed in. It is not a matter of passing a skills test, but rather putting in hours under somebody in the state with a license. I could be wrong. I would be pleased to be wrong on this.

Texas had a special deal that they would honor plumbing licenses from other states after their big freeze caused an extreme shortage of plumbers.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Perhaps I have a glamorous view of plumbers. It seems to me the options are simpler, and more than what a welder has. It seems relatively easy to start a plumbing business if that’s the route I wanted to take eventually. I can guarantee you no one in my neighborhood is googling “welder near me” but they are doing that for plumbers - right now probably in fact.

A welder either has to travel to the pipeline, Alaska, or work at a shipyard, or at heights as an iron worker - in order to make any money. None of those appeal to me. Pipefitter I don’t know much about but I could look into that but again I believe plumbers still make more than them and it also seems to me a much more useful skill to have in life.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps I have a glamorous view of plumbers. It seems to me the options are simpler, and more than what a welder has. It seems relatively easy to start a plumbing business if that’s the route I wanted to take eventually. I can guarantee you no one in my neighborhood is googling “welder near me” but they are doing that for plumbers - right now probably in fact.

A welder either has to travel to the pipeline, Alaska, or work at a shipyard, or at heights as an iron worker - in order to make any money. None of those appeal to me. Pipefitter I don’t know much about but I could look into that but again I believe plumbers still make more than them and it also seems to me a much more useful skill to have in life.
All good points. Buildings have chiller and steam lines that need to be fitted and welded. Go to the Union Hall and talk to someone. If you decide to be a plumber get welding certified and you can cross over. Don't waist your experience.

Reach4

Reaction score
If somebody were to Google for a welder, would they find you? Also Yelp. One thing that comes to mind is letting local well drillers and service people know that you would be available to weld stuff including extending steel casings. I expect most drillers do their own welding, but some may want to use a subcontractor on occation

I am not trying to disuade you from plumbing.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not try for a Union, go for a Open shop they will be willing to train you we cannot get enough Plumbers, but whatever you do be ready for a loss in wages

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
35 years half union half non union . I can tell you there is good and bad truth is if you're making over 50 an hour in So Cal union with good retirement and full paid medical for entire family MOST guys won't work 40 hours every week and some struggle to keep busy non union is easier to keep busy for around 20 an hour less and no benefits.
I think for a welder welding pipe and pipefitting is a better route to go than plumbing I could go back and forth explaining why but welding , fitting , and fabricating can be rewarding and so is plumbing
Getting work non union is way easier training pretty nonexisting with 90 percent of jobs just teach on job my area doesn't usually require certifications for plumbing outside city of LA . but there are ways for self motivated to seek and learn. Learning repair work is one aspect , working building homes another , and working high rise and hospital , school or others yet another. Or you could get into something like water softener , filtration etc and never experience other aspects. Not likely going to get very good experience at all these aspects working for the union or working non union . non union chances are you'll never work on a hospital or do medical gas piping working union you'll never plumb a house (not in my area anyway)
another thing I've done is Worked in Refinery it was union but they have bounced back and forth between union and non union I'm told gets a a little political.
Unfortunately its hard to advise specifically because its such a varied field. but perhaps give thought as to which type of things you're interested in. Working pipefitting I was able to make some decent money in short amounts of time but had lapses of work and traveled some

bmPlumbingHeating

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok. This is how you get a job in plumbing or heating or construction.

Emailing resumes are a waste of time, our shop just throws them in the garbage. Open the yellowpages and walk in to each plumbing shop in your area with your resume in hand, it's difficult but it shows that you want a job. That's it, that's all it takes. And just so you know our shop has had 2 welders come through, we've had gas technicians and one milwright. You shouldn't have a tough time finding a job, since it's the mechanical ability that you already have that employers are looking for.

MakenaHenry

Reaction score
Plumbing is a trade that's always in demand, and it offers better earning potential and the flexibility to move anywhere in the country. In the Seattle area, applying at the union and going through the Seattle area Pipe Trades for apprenticeships is a great way to get started. They'll provide you with the training and support you need to kickstart your plumbing career. Additionally, consider networking with experienced plumbers in your area, as they can offer valuable insights and tips on sarkari job. It always works great.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
During the 1970's the plumber's union asked those of us who could weld if we would like to work on the Alaska pipeline or go to Texas as they had a construction boom.

I decided to stick it out and get my 10 years working in the plumbing trade so I can be eligible to take the 4-part master exams .

Quite honestly, I think being a plumber is an amazing profession as there are a lot of options available related to the plumbing trade.

Gas piping for example in some cases require a certified welder, medical gas piping requires someone capable of brazing with a certificate.

There is also water Jetting which is an amazing money maker as last Thursday I made $1,000 jetting 4-3" leader lines that took less then 1 hour including travel time.

Monday I was paid $1,200 by a law firm to discuss a case where (ZOOM meeting) I as given the ok to be an expert witness for $3,500 a day for going to a deposition and or going to court .

My top employee I was paying him $175 per hr and 4 years ago I gave him 49% of my company and he worked 12- 14 hours a day 7 days and he brought in several million dollars in new accounts.

Nursing homes, new construction, boiler installations, and just the drain cleaning averages $5,800 a week .

I am 76 and work physically a few days a month to keep active and do a lot of expert witness gigs as people are DUMB and take no personal responsibility when they get scalded by hot water.

I do all the boiler inspections and my partner is gas certified and has a back flow license and he does the gas inspections as required yearly which I went with him until he was certified to go alone.

One can make a living just doing sewer and drain cleaning or repiping or heating or fire suppression (sprinklers and standpipes)

Depending on the area you want to locate.
My company did an alteration in Manhattan for a hotel to house the illegal invaders and NYC is paying $500 a night to house these criminals who by the way are demanding better food, more FREE STUFF and did a lot of damage to the brand-new bathrooms so it creates more work .

A simple code infraction such as using a "Jim cap" and documenting where in the code it is located is a great way to earn a few thousand dollars by going to a deposition $3,500 and then testifying in court is another $3,500.

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/N...RKER_HOTEL_MANAGEMENT_COMPANY_INC._et_al/184/

And

www.law.com › newyorklawjournal › almIDClindinin v. NYCHA, 109954/10 | New York Law Journal

Aug 27, 2013 · Plaintiff also submits the affidavit of master plumber, Sylvan Tieger, who inspected the Building's hot water storage tank on April 21, 2011, and avers that he found it in poor condition

I still have 7 more cases pending

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
In our area there are more contractors that hire pipefitters as we have several manufacturing plants that need constant maintenance. There are 5 union companies locally who regularly hire pipefitters/welders there are three who regularly hire plumbers and if your a plumber who can't fit you either will need to drive 1.5 hours to work every day for a larger contractor list who regularly hires plumbers or be willing to be out of work at times. I got somewhat lucky as I was taken on as a plumber, but worked almost exclusively as in the pipe fitting department of a local company, it was good experience.

I think before I made a decision I would go to the union hall and ask them if they would be willing to talk with you about their contractor list and which ones regularly hire plumbers. If there are good numbers you could do plumbing, if you have a lot of plants around you (5 or 10) then pipefitting is probably more in demand for your area.

There is also the HVAC tech option that is also part of the pipe trades. Depending on the demographics on your area and your personal aptitude that could be a great option.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Areas vary by how things are done including the way the union works. In my area its not easy to work as a plumber and a fitter for union jobs. Personally after 35 year in trade I liked pipefitting better but less experiance at that . and youve got 10 years welding if you can weld pipe it might be easy transition. plumbing I love too its differant though you probebly wont do both

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I went through the plumbing apprenticeship with Phoenix AZ. LOCAL 469. We would travel to Seattle when work got slow in Phoenix. You are already a welder. If I were you I would go through the Pipefitter/ Welder apprenticeship, there are a lot more plumbers than pipefitters and not all pipefitters can weld.
Didnt see your posting till today but , Local 469 has been pretty good with the chip plants chinese and intell plus hospitol.
I worked plumbing then changed book to Fitting Im odd I loved both . but found fitting better for me the last 10 years of working. solar electric plants , power plant, refinery HVAC work at Apple Cupertino Ca . I cant call any work in the piping trades a wrong turn , but some people work better bossing and pushing paper some under a hood welding or other facets

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't asked my brother who is in one of the seattle unions.. but last I heard they were still super busy. Just count the number of cranes visible on the skyline..

I've never been slow.. even during the recession in 09ish I quit my job to get a better paying gig.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks