Plumbing and flattening a wall for an alcove tub and shower

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
I am working on a bathroom remodel and need to plumb and flatten an interior brick wall in advance of tub installation and tile prep. The left and right alcove walls are stud construction and will receive cement backer board. The back wall is sound brick but the surface is uneven (concave from top to bottom) and needs to be built up by as much as 1/2" in some areas to be plumb and flat. What is the preferred material for the job? Stucco or something else? After floating the wall to plane with the correct material (followed by appropriate cure time) I intend to install my tub and then put up cement board on both the prepared masonry surface and adjacent stud walls. So, whatever I use to float the brick wall needs to be suitable for subsequent installation of backer board. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

craig2018

Reaction score
Furring strips? Studs? Easier to mount cement board to wood than a brick wall I'd think. And wood is infinitely easier to bring into plumb.

DTAZ

Reaction score
Furring strips? Studs? Easier to mount cement board to wood than a brick wall I'd think. And wood is infinitely easier to bring into plumb.
Thanks but that's not an option. I would lose too much space in the bathroom. I am going with a full mortar bed installation over the brick. It's a more direct way of getting to my end result. I can use cement board on my stud walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks