Plumbing a Freestanding Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Ewhite111

Reaction score
Hello! I just removed a tub and looking to replace it with a freestanding tub (thank you wife).

Please help with the plumbing on this. Correct me if I’m wrong:

From the tub drain, I would use a OSB ITD35 to a 1 1/2 ptrap and trap arm and then use 2 45 degree pieces to connect to the existing drain. I’ll cut off the old ptrap.

Where do I make the change from 1 1/2 in to 2 in pipe?

Thanks for the help!

Picture is attached.

Attachments

• 6EA0A9ED-B8AA-4C03-8F34-3D125D406376.jpeg
    6EA0A9ED-B8AA-4C03-8F34-3D125D406376.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 162

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
#1 Do you have the tub you are installing already? use that as your template to locate your drain coming up out of the floor. Know exactly which waste and overflow you will need first so you can stub up with the correct size. Installing on a slab limits your options. Tubs only need a 1.5" trap and trap arm. 2" after the vent.

Is this tub being installed in an alcove where an alcove was installed? Will there be enough room to do that? What sort of filler will you be using, Wall or floor mounted? Lots to think about in where and how the water is located.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is an install that a friend that used to work for me did in their home in Vegas this summer. I recommend leaving at least 1" between your tub and all finished walls so you dont create pinch points for fingers.

alcove freestanding tub.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is an install that a friend that used to work for me did in their home in Vegas this summer. I recommend leaving at least 1" between your tub and all finished walls so you dont create pinch points for fingers.
Those things look a lot harder to clean than conventional tubs, but that gap you recommend at least makes it possible.

Maybe there are cleaning tools designed for the purpose.

How about using rope like giant dental floss?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those things look a lot harder to clean than conventional tubs, but that gap you recommend at least makes it possible.

Maybe there are cleaning tools designed for the purpose.

How about using rope like giant dental floss?

Nah... just name the Dust Bunnys that grown and live behind the tub

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello! I just removed a tub and looking to replace it with a freestanding tub (thank you wife)..........

You're not the first one where the wife watches too much HGTV, just like mine. They look great on TV but not all practical, difficult to install, heavy and just wait until they go out of style. Remember when all dining room walls were painted red? Three coats of KILZ and two coats of paint needed to cover it with a different color. :D

Ewhite111

Reaction score
#1 Do you have the tub you are installing already? use that as your template to locate your drain coming up out of the floor. Know exactly which waste and overflow you will need first so you can stub up with the correct size. Installing on a slab limits your options. Tubs only need a 1.5" trap and trap arm. 2" after the vent.

Is this tub being installed in an alcove where an alcove was installed? Will there be enough room to do that? What sort of filler will you be using, Wall or floor mounted? Lots to think about in where and how the water is located.

Yes, I have the tub and it’s a 1 1/2 in screw on connection to the drain. The overflow is part of the tub and leads to the same drain underneath.

Would the 2 45’s work better than 1 90 to make that turn to the main drain after the trap arm?

We put the filler in the wall and that’s all set. We left about 4 inches on each side of the tub.

so getting close, just wasn’t sure of the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks